Saturday, December 21, 2013

December Updates ~

Popping in quick to say hello and to show you some estate sale finds I picked up yesterday... I shared these photos on Instagram... do you follow me there? Please do :)

Yesterday, I picked up this old ladder from a garage filled with goodies... 


There were two ladders at the sale. I grabbed this one and another lady grabbed its mate. She was giving me the stink eye about the ladder I grabbed. I was lucky to get this one with the cross supports... 

It was the prettier of the two!

I'm on the lookout for another... 
for the other side of the fireplace.

I also found this old galvanized clip on light...


It works perfectly and it's dents 
are so charming to me...


The ladder and light 
came from the same garage 
and I love 
that they are married together now...

Where else do you find a lamp for $3?? 
Actually, 
it was a bundle sale 
with this canvas bag thrown in.


Some sort of military bag.

I have no idea what it once held...


Thought it would be cute 
with holiday greenery coming out of it.. 

Which may nor may not happen this year.

In the living room, 
I have been enjoying 
my Staghorn Fern!

It requires very little care 
and doesn't seem to mind 
the Northern exposure!


Instead of covering the plant soil with moss, 
I used some wood slivers 
I picked up at the Christmas Tree lot.


They add a bit of the season 
and fill out this small plant...



and they smell divine!!

You can get these wood slivers 
for free 
at Home Depot 
if you ask really nice and smile big!

I would like to take a moment to honor 
my friend 
Ruthie.

This week, she lost her battle with cancer.


I met Ruthie about three years ago from my blog. She was a reader and lived in my town... She asked for a personal tour of my house and I invited her over. As soon as I met her, we became fast friends. 

Even in the face of adversity, Ruthie was always looking to brighten another person's day! Here she is, last year, in my kitchen. She had received this arrangement of "flower puppies" and decided to share them with my good friend, Camille, who is also battling cancer.  It was just so Ruthie, always thinking of others. Camille loved the arrangement and it made Ruthie so happy. Anyone that knew Ruthie loved her. I will really miss her. 

If you would like to know more about Ruthie, you can visit her Cottage which was featured on The Old Painted Cottage. Click here for the tour 


I purchased this tiny 
needlepoint pillow 

at one of Ruthie's sales 
which benefited cancer...

I have it displayed 
in a bird's nest 

and 

I will always 
think of Ruthie 
when I see it ~



Please take time to hug your loved ones!
Thank you for visiting my friends!

Marcy 
xxoo

Linking to these parties:

13 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh that's so sad. I've visited her blog several times and wondered about her.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

I love your ladder and light, great finds. I am so sorry to hear about Ruthie, I have visited her blog and always thought she was such a lovely person. I will keep her family in my prayers. I hope you and your family have a very Blessed and Merry Christmas. Hugs, Marty

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love the ladder and so sorry about your friend. Wishing you a Merry Christmas.

BlueClearSky Elizabeth said...

Great finds. So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. She sounds like she had a wonderful spirit. Wishing you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. My heart goes out to her family and friends. I love the ladder and hope you have a wonderful holiday.
xx,
Sherry

Kelly said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. That is such sad news and even more so during this time of year! She seemed like a beautiful person. I love your new finds. That ladder is great! I never thought about using those wood slivers as a way to add fragrance to the house. Great idea!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Marcy,
I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. I did not know her, but she sounds like such a beautiful soul. She had a great friend in you.
Hope you have a blessed holiday season. Don't get in any fights at the garage sales, (although my money is on you, you did score that gorgeous ladder!!!) LOL
Hugs,
Patti

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

That corner looks so pretty Marcy...I love how you added the light to the ladder! So sorry to hear about your friend.
Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Sarah said...

Sweet, thoughtful post, Marcy. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I will go visit her cottage.
Merry Christmas, to you! ~ Sarah

Elma said...

I am so sorry to hear about Ruthie!! She was so young with little kids right? I will pray that the Lord gives her family all they need in the days and weeks to come!!

Olive said...

Hi Marcy, I love the ladder. I picked a smaller one off the curb the other day. Words are never enough for the loss of a friend. Hugs and blessings, olive

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Hi. this is sugar from Rivercrest Cottage. I'm your newest follower. found your blog via French Country Cottage's party and love your decorating style. Loved Ruthie's cottage too. So sorry for your loss of a good friend. Will be back often. r/sugar

Alison Agnew said...

i'm so sorry
to hear about Ruthie

but glad you were able
to get to know her
in the past few years

i also wanted to let you know
that Fridays Unfolded is back
and invite you to come and link up

best wishes,

Alison
Nancherrow (formerly Stuff and Nonsense)