Sunday, May 12, 2013

My Cutting Garden of Roses ~


Happy Mothers Day!!

This is a repost from Mother's Day 2011. 

Hope you had a wonderful weekend and Happy Mother's Day to everyone! This year, I hosted Mother's Day Brunch in my home. I am lucky to be blessed with a great mom and a wonderful 94 year old grandmother.  

When we moved into this home 2 1/2 years ago, we inherited a front yard with mature white rose bushes....

While I enjoy cutting the 'White Iceberg Roses' and bringing them inside, 

sometimes I prefer to bring in a bit of color ...

Last summer. my husband and I planted a cutting garden in the backyard. I picked Modern Tea Roses as well as Old English varieties.  My favorite color is pink so I picked out a {few} dozen roses in all different shades of pink...

My rose cutting garden is finally producing it's first blooms this season. Rather late but certainly worth the wait...


I picked an armload of roses for my Mother's Day centerpiece....

I purchased this cast iron urn about 5 years ago. I have no idea about it's age. It has a great rusty patina. The top holds four candles and has holes built in which acts like a flower frog.... 


Perfect for garden flowers!


The inside is very rusty and I wasn't sure if the urn would leak... I didn't want any surprises of dripping water on the table!  I found an old ironstone bowl to fit snugly inside and I filled the bowl with water...




Slipped all the roses in the holes and the bouquet was complete...



That beautiful golden yellow rose was given to us as a house warming gift when we moved in... I usually don't go for 'yellow roses' but this one stole my heart!  It's called "Strike it Rich" in case your looking for a wonderful yellow rose...


Other roses shown are Sweet Surrender, Tournament of Roses, Bewitched..


Memorial Day...


Guy de Maupassant, Morden Blush....




Double Delight, First Prize...



There are others but I can't remember the names right now... 

If you see something I didn't list and you need to know, 
just email me and I'll try to help!


Remnants of old candles left in the urn
too pretty to remove....

Thanks for dropping by!!
Hope you will consider following my blog!

Linking to:

11 comments:

Deserae said...

OMG....your roses are just gorgeous!!!! I am completely envious that you have so many beautiful roses in your garden. The urn is TDF too :o) Happy Mother's Day!!!
~Des

Home Lifestyle Design said...

I absolutely love your cast iron urn & loved how you handled any leakage issues. Beautiful.
I am also your newest follower.

Meghan said...

Aaahhh! Those roses came from your garden??!! So very jealous! They are absolutely stunning! Do you think you could fly to London and show me how to grow amazing stuff? :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Hey girl! Thought I would check in on some blogs, though mine has fallen off the face of the earth! lol The roses are gorgeous and I love the urn! SO pretty! Hope you are doing well!

Lou Cinda :)

Renae Moore said...

That urn is awesome AND the roses, wow! So beautiful. I love a pretty garden but I'm not crazy about gardening! I get perennials so they will come back and just do a smattering of annuals.

vignette design said...

Hi Marcy,
Your roses are stunning. And the urn is to die for! Gorgeous! ~Delores

Shannon said...

Love the urn you used to display the roses, so pretty! Nothing is better than being able to run outside and cut your own flowers for your home especially roses with their lovely fragrance. Have a great weekend!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Your roses are beautiful...we also have a lot of the white iceberg roses in our yard... I would like to plant some Roses with color...

Stephanie said...

That urn is AMAZING! And gorgeous roses too!

jayneonweedstreet said...

Amazing roses! Hopefully they continue to delight all summer!

Auntie Bliss said...

Gosh so pretty!
Sorry I didn't tell you about the Talk of the House blog :)
I met her (Kelly) at the Lettered Cottage one Christmas...she was contemplating starting a blog. What a great blogger!!