Monday, April 8, 2013

Vintage Containers ~


One of my favorite ways to fluff a room is to add live plants or flowers... I think every room instantly perks up when a green plant or a vase of flowers is added!

I love to tag along with Mr. AntiqueChase to the hardware store on the weekend... HomeDepot has a nice selection of house plants and I usually come home with something, whether it's a trailing ivy, a fern or a succulent.. I would much rather buy a potted plant than cut flowers. While I love the look of the growers bunch or a dozen tiny roses, I prefer to spend my money on a plant that will last... (hopefully)

I do love cut flowers and branches from my own garden... I find so much satisfaction in puttering in the garden, snipping a few flowers and bringing them into the house. The weather has been wonderful here in Southern California... nice to be outside...

I have nice collection of vintage vessels, vases, and containers to display my plants and cuttings in. It's always fun to "shop the cupboard" and find just the right vintage container for flowers and plants...

I apologize in advance for the photo quality. My son went on his senior retreat with my camera and it didn't return in it's original condition... sort of having problems focusing and with the lighting...


The first container I want to share with you is a $5.00 garage sale find. I'm guessing it's an old metal milk pail... it originally was black and it was a bit too dark for my house. I first painted it with Annie Sloan Blue and then gave it a top coat of Old White.. a bit of distressing and a clear wax.  The bottom of the container is a bit thin and I think it would leak, so I have placed an empty tennis ball container inside to hold the water... Don't throw out your tennis ball containers!! They hold water and flowers perfectly.

I cut some white roses from the garden.. and some flowering branches from a tree. The white roses have no smell but the white lacy branch blossoms make up for it... they smell delicious!




The flowers and branches add some life to this quiet corner in my kitchen... and I love that they were free from my garden!

In my guest room, I added the first blooms from my cutting garden.. These roses had short stems so I gathered them together in an antique tea pot...



I found small tea pot at an estate sale around the corner from my house. I paid about $10... The spout is a bit chippy but it didn't stop me from buying it.. I knew it would be perfect for cut flowers. I don't collect blue transferware, but when I find a nice container for a good price, I can't resist. I can always give them as presents or hostess gifts with garden flowers...

Old English roses with tons of petals are my favorite!



Planting Victorian silverplate 
with succulents is a favorite project of mine...

 Here, I purchased a few tiny plants at Home Depot..
 I like the smallest $1.80 size...


This (quadruple plate) silver butter dish with lid was $7.00 at an estate sale.  It was a bargain that day.. as everything else at that sale was way overpriced...


This vignette is a Salvation Army silver platter, my butter dish with succulents, and two tiny bird's nests displayed under a pair of glass cloches....


If you would like to see more "succulent and silver decorating" you can click here to read my older posts here:



If you would like to read more about decorating with cloches, please check out an older post here



I like to decorate with dry flowers as well... Here is an old bronze trophy I purchased at the Wednesday Flea Market... I love antique trophies and they are hard to find at a good price. I debated this one because it wasn't silver... I believe it is bronze and it's very heavy. It was a splurge...

I am displaying a bunch of lavender inside which I purchased from Decor Steals... It smells delightful, for now.. I wonder how long the scent will last?

Next to the trophy above, and in the photo below, you can see another succulent arrangement I made using an old silverplate creamer...

I purchased 3 of these creamers from my friend Kym 
at her store



For Easter, I like to display violets. Here I have taken 3 violet plants from Home Depot and placed them in a brown transferware chamber pot... 

I always purchase chamber pots when I see them.. They are perfect for plants!

Each violet was about $3 making this arrangement less than $10 and it will last for months!


The straw was packing material that I saved from a mail order purchase... 


More violets... 

This time in an old ironstone soup tureen.... I purchased this container at a Thrift store for a few dollars.. It was marked down because the ladle was missing. 


My powder room doesn't have much light and I can't seem to keep plants alive in there... The violets don't require bright light so they are a perfect accent to my guest powder room... Again, I just got these at Home Depot and plunked them in the container...


The dried hydrangeas I shared with you in my last post.....


More succulents in silver...
These are on my front entry table...


Old trophies make nice containers too....


This is the hallway between my kitchen and dining room... (sorry for the blurry photo, like I said my camera isn't focusing)


This is just a grocery store ivy wreath, about $10... All dressed up and looking charming in a junk silver vessel. I purchased this silver container in Ventura, CA years ago...

Imagine this bamboo stand with out the touch of green... For a few dollars, the plant dresses up the entire space!


A new favorite plant and a new favorite container!!

This galvanized bucket was in my parents garage, on the floor.... being used as a trash can. A trash can! I had bigger dreams for it and every time I visited my mom I would ask for it... I waited about two years and it was just recently gifted to me!! I cleaned it up and found this amazing plant (again HomeDepot) for it. I have no idea what type of plant it is... My friend Des thinks it's an asparagus fern... I love the color green against the galvanized silver color!

It brings such life and brightens up the kids bonus room!! A fresh plant is much cheaper than a new pillow or accessory....


More blurry photos, again.. I'm sorry... This is a bathroom off the bonus room... I have a small collection of little white pots...


Here, I planted a few of my own succulent cuttings... This is my first attempt at planting my own cuttings and they seem to be doing well... They like this East facing window.


I was feeling like my kitchen needed a pop of yellow. I purchased a pair of these small yellow plants... they start with a "K" and I'm drawing a blank on the exact name of them. They are in the succulent family. Each was $3.50 at the grocery store. I popped them in a pair of pottery containers (not vintage) from Restoration Hardware... I keep them by my kitchen sink and they are easy to water!


Another vintage silver creamer... this one is in my living room on the window ledge...


Another bathroom display... I guess I really like flowers in the bathroom! (I need to dust my glass jars, don't judge!)


This bamboo stand holding towels and pharmacy bottles gets a pop of color from more garden roses...


And I saved the best for last...

This is MY FAVORITE flower container....

If the house was on fire, I would grab the photo albums and this silver pitcher!

An old hotel silver water pitcher... gorgeous patina....

I love the pitted silver...




...and the inscription!!!

"The Manor"... 

It makes the bathroom feel so fancy
No???


Perfect with my "Strike it Rich" yellow roses... Which is sooo not the case at tax time!!!

I hope you enjoyed tour of the flowers, cuttings and plants I am enjoying in my home...

So...
next time you're out 
at a thrift store or garage sale 

pick up

..a chamberpot
...a silver creamer
...a chippy teapot
...a soup tureen

and maybe 

a silver trophy...
 a silver water pitcher...
any urn...
or a metal milk jug!!!

Buy yourself a plant next time you are at the grocery store or home improvement store.. visit a garden nursery... cut some branches... or some flowers... 

Enjoy nature inside!

Thanks for the visit!

I hope you will consider following my blog!

~Marcy

Sharing with the following parties...






33 comments:

Stacey said...

So beautiful! I just adore flowers in unusual containers. My favorite is flowers from the yard...they just aren't quite as perfect as the ones from the store and I love em!

afistfullofweeds* said...

So many Lovely flowers and plants!! Pretty choices of containers too!

Deserae said...

You have the most wonderful collection of containers!!! I want to go shopping with you....you always find the best stuff I swear!!!! Just beautiful :o)
~Des

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

So many pretty containers and flowers! I've been trying to keep more live plants in the house. Some are doing well, some are not. My african violet isn't doing so great. Any tips? I love the succulents in the tarnished silver containers!

Leslie Harris said...

Marcy I love what you did, I'm especially a fan of the succulents. The african violets remind me of my grandfather, he always had them in his kitchen. I need to get some. Thanks for sharing such helpful tips on containers.
Leslie (Gwen Moss)

Kelly said...

What a fun tour of all your pretty flowers and plants! You have so many interesting ones. I love the one you got from your parents garage! I agree with Des. That looks like an asparagus fern. I have lots of those in my house too except they're fake! LOL! The real ones shed and don't like cold weather (just FYI). Since you live in sunny, CA you should be fine. Love the roses in the blue transferware container too. Also, love the succulents in the silver containers. You gave me lots of good ideas!

Donna said...

You always have the very best. Love all your containers and flowers and plants. You have the touch. Everything looks gorgeous!Wish we had good estate and garage sales around here. Love the violets too!

Lee said...

This post is really lovely. Wonderful Ideas. That little milk can is so lovely.
Lisa
Leeshideaway.blogspot.com

www.mysoulfulhome.com said...

I recently did home depot succulents in old silver creamers. Love the look! Very pretty post...
Kelly
www.mysoulfulhome.com

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Beautiful! You have a great collection of containers :) Autumn greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

Red Gate Farm said...

This is certainly inspirational! I plan to borrow the idea of the African Violets... mine are currently in plain old clay/terra cotta pots but I may have to look for some fun ironstone instead :)

~Chris

Gina Gao said...

These are amazing flower arrangements!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

julielorusso@gmail.com said...

Hi,
I just found your blog today, and I can't remember which blog I popped over from. Anyway, love it!

I (like you) love to fill ever empty space with plants and flowers. I call myself a plant addict.

That is absolutely and asparagus fern. They are great and in my collection. If you give them enough space, light and sun they can really get big. Great for cascading down from on top of a shelf something high.

Finally, it looks like your "manor" hotel silver is actually pewter. Have you checked the markings?.... I collect pewter and I love the patina and pitting it gets.

Best to you,
Julie

MonkeyGrassHill.blogspot.com

must love junk said...

Your containers are fantastic, especially the old trophy! I'm your newest follower-I'd love for you to visit and say hi :)
Susan

Deanne Langford said...

I love all your containers- the succulents in the silver dishes are outstanding!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I loved seeing all your ways with flowers! Your garden cuttings are wonderful. I have just begun the practice of using more potted plants rather than cut flowers. You seem to have a real green thumb. And tons of wonderful containers too! Love your new trophy!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Such a wonderful post! I got so many great ideas from you for displaying flowers and plants in unexpected containers! Love your English roses and have decided that I must plant some!

D@TheShadyPorch said...

I enjoyed the lovely array of flowers and containers. I really liked the white roses in the white container...so pretty! I would love to have you share it at
The Shady Porch Rock N Share party too! Blessings, D

~ Liz ~ said...

I'm with you on a love for fresh flowers in the house. It's great when they are blooming for free in your own yard, isn't it. All your containers are so sweet. Love the look you achieve with them!
Liz

Auntie Bliss said...

Whoooo, doggie!
(southern phrase, I guess...)
I LOVE all this.
The first one in white and the topiary are my favorites and YES
that Manor vessel ...so wonderful.
I do have some great things to put flowers in, I just need to do it!
I've been seeing succulents in all
wedding photos online...on top of old books. A huge trend right now, I guess.
Great post!

Jenna LaFevor said...

AMAZING inspiration! I am especially loving your succulents in the silver pieces! I just did a small succulent garden in a clear bowl, but now I'm thinking silver would be better! Might have to change that up! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 5 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-monday-3-link-party.html
Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

Robin said...

came over from Stone Gable! Love love love your succulents in silver! But every one of your plantings are gorgeous. I love the way you've incorporated the beauty of plants into your decor...my favorite design trend at the moment! xoxo
Robin

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Marcy, Your flowers and containers are beautiful! The white roses are my favorite and you have to share your garden with us. Thanks for joining the Open House party.
Hugs,
Sherry

Chelsea @ Married Filing Jointly said...

Oh my gosh I love your home! Gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing at Give Me The Goods Monday and hope you party with us again next week!

~Chelsea @ Married Filing Jointly

Sarah said...

So many beautiful containers. I love to haver fresh cut flowers in our home, and finding an unexpected container to hold them is part of the joy. Thanks for sharing yours.

Ivy and Elephants said...

Love all your unique ideas for displaying flowers and adding life to any room. Now where did I put that chamber pot?!
Thanks for sharing the inspiration.
Hugs,
Patti

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Your flowers and plants look so beautiful. I love old silver plate too. That huge trophy on the bamboo shelf is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week!

Hugs,
Deborah

Laurie Ritchey said...

Your flowers are beautiful. Those roses in the hotel pitcher are breath taking, and I am now coveting your pitcher. I love hotel pieces, and that is a real treasure. You have some great ideas for flower containers. I can't wait to search my house for some unique containers for flowers. I love the succulents planted I the old silver pieces, and that blue and white tea pot is beautiful filled with roses. Thank you for all of the inspiration. laurie

Angela Conley said...

Lovely selection of pieces. I also like how you've repurposed these containers and that they're so unique. Much more interesting than using the typical planters from the store!

20 North Ora said...

Beautiful post! Love the vintage teapot full of roses. And always love dried hydrangeas.

Judy

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

All of your containers are just gorgeous! I love how they are all filled with gorgeous flowers! I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can plant and garden this weekend. Hope you are doing well.
XO
Kristin

C . N E X X said...

I like your blog !
You have interesting post and I following you now and I hope you can follow me back.:d


Patricia.

Ashley said...

Love that first vase! Fresh flowers in rooms are always one of my favorite touches.