Monday, September 24, 2012

Decorating with Vintage Silver Punch Bowls ~

One of the most versatile accessories in my home is a LARGE silver punch bowl. I actually own two vintage punch bowls and I am out looking for more!


Back in the day, every bride must have received a punch bowl for a wedding gift. I see the crystal versions everywhere.  However, today I want to talk about SILVER punch bowls and how pretty they are to decorate with!

If you have read my blog for some time, you know I find my tarnished silver at Thrift Stores and Flea Markets.  Be on the lookout at garage sales too! When you come across a large silver bowl, and the price is right, don't pass it up! What's a good price? I own two LARGE silver punch bowls and I have never paid more than $25. I think my first one set me back about $10.. maybe it was $20.

Over the summer, there was an estate/garage sale in my neighborhood. I wasn't early so I debated whether or not it was worth my time to park and go in. I had no cash on me and figured I would just look around. There was nothing left at the sale, and I mean nothing! Just as I was about to leave I saw a silver punch bowl on the counter. It was lonely and neglected as it sat next to unmatched Tupperware and old glass vases. Nobody wanted it? Tarnished but quite large it was marked $40... too much!  I offered $20 and we settled on $25. A bit more than I wanted to spend but I'm glad I took it home! Being local, they even took my check :)

Here's my most recent find...



This one came with a ladle...

Sometimes I debate whether or not to polish my vintage silver. If the patina is dark and time worn, I usually leave the finish alone. This bowl didn't have a great patina to it... it had lots of smudges and fingerprints and it just looked dirty. So I decided to clean it up...



I use Wright's Silver polish...easy to use and doesn't smell too bad. No hard rubbing and I usually forget to put gloves on. You can find this at the grocery store or click on the Amazon link:



So, 
what can you do with a punch bowl 
and why do you need one??

I'll show you 
the most versatile item 
in my decor!

This past 
SUMMER
I used the estate sale bowl 
to display my collected beach shells...


These sea shells have have all been purchased second hand at flea markets... We don't have shells like this on the beach here in California. I bought the green glass float this summer in Hawaii as a vacation reminder. Not sure if it's old or a reproduction. The small glass float with string on it was part of a vase filler set from Pottery Barn.



In 
AUTUMN,
you can display your collection of deer sheds...



Or how about dried hydrangeas...






Don't have dried hydrangeas?
You could also display mini white pumpkins 
from the grocery store in a silver punch bowl~

In 
WINTER,
you can display your beaded fruit collection...


If you want to read more about beaded fruit, 
check out my older post HERE

Don't have a beaded fruit collection (yet)?
How about displaying pine cones and greenery 
for the holidays....


I also like the idea of displaying 
{a collection} 
of old black and white photos 
piled high in a punch bowl..

or 
a small book collection
or pocket bibles...



In 
SPRING,
you can display a collection 
of vintage millinery flowers...


The possibilities are endless!

So, when you are out and about looking for treasures, don't pass up that old silver punch bowl. Don't worry if you don't have room to store it ... use it as your centerpiece and change out your displays with the seasons!

Better yet, call your grandma, your sister or your aunt... I bet they have a punch bowl and they would love to get it out of storage for you!

Don't want to miss a post? Please consider following me on Google Friend Connect located at the top of this blog! 

51 comments:

Suzan said...

If I ever found a silver punch bowl I would probably faint from excitement. I have never seen one at a yard sale or thrift store. Maybe I need to look next time I am visiting in Virginia. Love all your display ideas!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Marcy I loved all your displays, the dried hydrangeas were my favorite!

Stephanie said...

The beachy display is my favorite!!

FleaingFrance - French Shopping said...

Great ideas and love the scalloped edge bowl!
Simone

Deserae said...

WOW...what a gorgeous find! I don't think I have ever seen a silver punch bowl...just lots of crystal ones. I will have to be on the look out for one now though because I LOVE how you displayed all the different things in yours. Just gorgeous!
~Des

Kelly said...

You found some great uses for that punch bowl! I love all of them. I don't have a large one like that. My favorite was the deer sheds in it. I would keep that out year round! I use that same silver cream too. It's great.

chateau chic said...

I love all your inspiration for filling a silver punch bowl. Perfect accessory to keep on hand!
Mary Alice

~ Liz ~ said...

Fun post with such a variety of ideas. I have recently been finding lots of silver but have never seen a punch bowl yet. You can be sure I'll be looking now! I'm your new follower. Hope you'll stop over for a visit at Quirky Vistas and follow as well, if you like!
Liz

Olive Cooper said...

I will be a good student and look for one with delight. All your displays are marvelous.

Sarah said...

Following your advice, I'll start looking for one of these.

Susie from Bienvenue said...

I'm now in love with your bowls too! I love how you used them in so many different ways. I must keep my eyes open for one. Then I can call on you to help me with some neat ideas to fill er up. Thanks!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I pulled mine back out recently and filled it with my antler sheds. Love that look. So right that there are so many uses.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I wish I had one! Your ideas are endless! Loved this post.

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

You convinced me--a silver punchbowl would be a lovely addition to my decorating collection! Now I'll have to be on the lookout for one at a good price.

Ron said...

Visiting from Wow Us Wednesdays... your antler sheds caught my eye! Great silver punch bowls. Hope you stop by Uptown Acorn.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

That punch bowl is pretty versatile.

Karen said...

Okay now you've done it, another thing for me to to collect lol. I love all of your ideas. I'll be on the lookout for a silver punch bowl.

Pam said...

No, I do not have a beaded fruit collection, but now I want one! I love your silver punch bowels. I prefer my silver tarnished, but like you, polish it up if it doesn't have a good patina.

Hi I'm Shannon! said...

Love them! (both)

I do the same, if it's icky I clean it with silver polish. But if the patina is good I'll just wipe it down and leave the great aged look :)

Happy Fall!

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

I enjoyed seeing your ideas for displays. I, too, have two silver punch bowls. I received one for high school graduation and because of its sentimental value I do not loan it out. I purchased the other one second hand to use when I need two, and to loan to others. I use Wrights silver polish too!

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

Marcy I might have had one in my etsy shop awhile back...but I thought it was more of a centerpiece bowl. It was very large and now realize it probably was a punch bowl! Its gone now of course! I do love the bowl with the scrolly edge. So pretty!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

I love it! Lately I've been on the lookout for silver platters and bowls. There's so much you can do with them. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Primp. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-16.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Shannon Nembach said...

Ok so now I'm on the hunt for a punch bowl. I'm a sucker for any seashell collection and I love the antlers too. So many great ideas!

sandy said...

Love your ideas for decorating with the silver bowl. Especially the hydrangeas. Now I just have to hunt for the silver bowl. I don't believe I have ever seen one. But now that it is in my RAS ( reticular activating system ) I'll start seeing them everywhere. ;) It's how our brain works!

In JOY, sandy

Erin {Home Everyday} said...

Oh my goodness! I love this! I have a few pieces in my house that are versatile like this, but I love the size and scale of the punch bowl much better. A few of these would be wonderful on the dining room table my hubby built for me! Thanks for the inspiration, now I will be on the lookout for them. Nice work! PS You've just been pinned :)

Denise @ secondtimearoundfinds said...

What wonderful new ways to use your silver.
Look forward to future visits.
Denise

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Wow! So many great uses for your silver bowls. I quit polishing my silver so long ago...thank goodness it so trendy now!

Dear Lillie said...

LOVE it! I love all of your displays but am especially partial to the hydrangeas!

Lulu said...

Vintage silver always gets my attention. I don't have a punch bowl, but I do have a lovely basket shaped piece that I use similar to you.

Judy said...

Love the silver bowl. My favorite is the dried hydrangeas. Those totally caught my eye.

Susan Herin said...

Love seeing how you change it up for the seasons...would make a wonderful centerpiece for any table setting. I struggle with deciding when to polish, too. I do love the shiny look, though. :) The pieces I normally don't polish are the silverplate pieces where the finish isn't in the greatest shape underneath.

Morning T said...

Ooh your fall display with deer antlers is my favorite, love it!
xoxo~
T

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

I can't get enough of those big silver bowls either! Such a great punch of vintage glam! :)

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I absolutely love the seashells and silver combo. And don't hydrangeas just look great in anything!! Great inspiration. :)

Ivy and Elephants said...

I just love what you have done with the already beautiful punch bowls for each season. Just gorgeous.

Paula

Sue said...

Marcy, I have never seen a silver punch bowl in all my thrifting forays! You were so lucky to have found yours, that's for certain. LOL - I go round and round on the polishing. In fact, I have a box full of silver waiting for me in the laundry room. It's way past acceptable! guess I need to tackle it ! :-)

Patricia Hinkel said...

If I could find one not too expensive I would buy it. They are great to decorate with.
Happy Fall!

kathee said...

Marcy, beautiful post! I've been looking for them for awhile now...found one at a flea market for 125$..I need to follow you around to get a better deal..just sayin!!
xoxok

Cindy said...

I LOVE your silver punchbowls! You've given me some great ideas, thanks so much.
Hugs, Cindy

Auntie Bliss said...

I love them and had not thought of them!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Hey Marcy!!!
How are you friend?
I love your silver punch bowls. I want to collect every little single thing that you do --- as I so do love your style. :)

I still get a kick out of seeing the vintage garage sale and flea market trays they are reselling in Napa Style at the price of $225ish.... omg. Can you believe that mark up? Mortifies me!!!

Hope this finds you well.
Love your seasonal bowl visuals. Lovely!!!

xoxox
Alison

Debra @ Common Ground said...

such a gorgeous piece, LOVE the antlers for Fall. What a great statement piece!!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

I really like this--love the antlers. I am featuring it tonight--thanks for sharing~!

Jen Orsini said...

Mom always calls these "Revere-ware bowls", since I guess Paul Revere had made this style (?) Well anyway, YES this is a great idea--why are mine tucked away? no idea! I am off to pull them out for a fall themed setting, thanks so much for the inspiration!

KaReN EiLeeN said...

Loved Loved Loved the bowl decor!! I am also a new follower. So glad I found you.

La Dolfina said...

I have had one for years but it is packed away somewhere...now you have made me want to bring it out of hiding!!! Great blog! We are treasure hunting kindred spirits.
I am coming down from NorCal at the end of October to visit our son at UCLA and staying in the Marriott Newport coast. Are you close? Would love to get together!
Terri

susan@avintagefarmwife said...

Love this idea! Now I have another thing to be on the lookout for! Newest follower!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Oh I love it, so pretty! Now I need to go find one :)
Enjoy the week.
OX
Kristin

City Farmhouse said...

I love finding things like that, great score:). I am lovin the fall bowl! I am so happy to have found your awesome & pretty blog. Have a great weekend, Jen

michele said...

ha! i have a huge crystal punch bowl, and it never fails to surprise me how many uses i find for it...for punch (yes, i still make punch)...for hand-dyeing linen...for a container of white lights at christmas...

hope you'll stop by when you have a moment.

smiles to you.

michele

AntiqueChase said...

testing