Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hand Knotted Burlap Table Runner ~ DIY

You know you have been a bad blogger when you start getting emails.....
where are you? 
are you okay? 

I'm sorry I haven't posted. My kids were on Spring Break three weeks apart! They are enrolled in two different high school districts and this year their vacation time did not align. 

For those of you who follow me on Facebook, you may remember I painted and decorated my teenage daughter's room over {her} Spring Break.... It was a much bigger project than I anticipated and kept me very busy, busy! Painting a room two different colors is hard work!

Then, when my 17 year old son was off from school, I became a short order cook  I took on another project... I painted an old media cabinet with Annie Sloan's chalk paint.  I felt like the only person on earth that hadn't tried Chalk Paint. I was very intrigued with the product claims of no sanding or prep needed. My thoughts about the chalk paint in another post.

I am writing this post with less than spectacular photos taken a few months ago. I had planned on re-shooting the pictures but never got around to it... Please forgive any funky lighting and blurry shots...

Okay, on with the DIY~

Are you ready for a 

QUICK, CHEAP, NO SEW PROJECT??


Hand Knotted Burlap Table Runner


A while back, I was on a great blog (Country Farmhouse) and saw a Hand Knotted Burlap Table Runner on her dining room table... The blogger had purchased her lovely runner on Etsy. 

I am obsessed with burlap... and I loved how elegant the runner looked with the hand knotted edge. 

Elegance and burlap in the same sentence?? 
That may be a first! :)

I thought the runner was something I would try myself since i needed another project.  

I headed over to Joann's Fabrics to buy some basic burlap off the bolt. Of course, I had my 40% off coupon in hand... what I forgot to do was measure my table! Measure your table before you go :)

My dining room table is 90 inches long. I wanted the runner to have a long drop on each side. I figured about a 24 inch drop on each side. Total yardage needed for a 90" table is 138"... I bought 4 yards of burlap. With my coupon the fabric was under $15.00.

I recommend you buy a bit of extra yardage on this project. If you think you need 3 yards, buy 3 1/2... If you think you need 4 yards, buy 4 1/2... Trust me. You can always trim your fringe and you want to make sure your starting point is straight. This will make more sense in a bit.

The burlap comes 48 inches wide. Since I wanted a narrow runner, I had to address this. I knew if I cut my burlap to the width of a runner, I would need to sew and finish each side on the runner. This would require time, patience and sewing skills, to which I have none... So, I did what any lazy impatient girl would do and 

FOLDED THE BURLAP IN HALF :)



This created a folded edge on one side of the runner and a natural short fringe on the other side. With folding, the burlap was now 24" wide. 

Below you may be able to see the folded edge on one side and the fringe on the far side 
(click to enlarge)...


The side edges are not the same with this method. One side will have a fold or a crease and the other side will have a slight fringe where the burlap was sewn closed in the factory. 

Having a runner with different side edges doesn't bother me. I think it looks charming...

Since burlap is thin and flimsy, I actually like that the fabric is doubled. It gives it more substance. And let's face it, the no sew option {for me} was totally worth it! Note: if you don't fold your runner in half, you could make TWO runners for the cost of one!

So at this point, I have my runner folded in half and I determined I wanted a 24" drop on each side. I cut my burlap {straight} to length right on the table. Of the 24" drop on each side, 8" will still be burlap, and 16" will be fringe.... (You can change these measurements to suit your table) 

Then, I unfolded my burlap to start the process of making fringe... I didn't take a photo of the next step, but trust me it's easy...

To create the fringe, pull the horizontal strings of burlap. I did one string at a time. They release VERY easy, with no pressure. It only took me a few minutes to complete the fringe on the first side. It's a bit messy, as the burlap sheds, so you may want to have your vacuum nearby.

I stopped when my fringe got to 16 inches but you can make yours shorter or longer depending on your table...

Now you are ready to knot the first side!!

You can knot your fringe one of two ways... 
(1) you can keep your burlap unfolded and knot the burlap and then fold
OR  

(2) you can fold your burlap and knot the top and bottom together. 

I chose method #2

I thought the burlap would lay flatter on my table if the top and bottom where knotted together in one step. I am happy with this choice and would do it again.

To start, I folded my burlap in half and lined it up so that the top and bottom were even. Then, took a few strands from the top (about 10 or so) and the same number of corresponding strands from the bottom... then, I simply made a hand knot. 


This is two layers knotted together.. 

TOP & BOTTOM



I knotted from right to left. I made sure that each knot was about the same thickness. I also made sure that each knot was about the same height...


Looks like a lot of work but it goes fast and it's REALLY easy!


Once you finish your first side, repeat these steps to the opposite side...



Keep your vacuum or broom handy to pick up all the burlap shed.



Fast, easy, no sew and inexpensive!!
Try it :)

Thanks for following with 
Google Friend Connect! 

Marcy

86 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Yes, burlap is very messy. Love the runner and especially love the ironstone in the background. Great collection.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Marcy! I like the knotted fringe. I learend how messy burlap was when I did a project with burlap garland. Of course, the whole project was a hot mess because it also involved moss, which, as I'm sure you know, is also very, very messy!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

What a great runner!! and it looks so fun to make..
I think I have found my Friday project..
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

Debra @ Common Ground said...

This turned out beautiful! It reminds me of the old French linens that use hand knotting, you did a great job!!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your dining room is so gorgeous!! I love your burlap runner and I love it even more because it is "no sew"!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

LOVE IT Marcy! I know what you mean about burlap being MESSY!!

LL from KS said...

I love your runner! Looks easy enough too! Thanks for putting a post up today. I feel you did it just for me!
Lynne

Cori said...

Oh Marcy!

It is SO GOOD to hear from you...love all your posts.

I'm going to give this runner a try. It's really beautiful in your dining room.

Happy Spring!
Cori

Val said...

It came out beautiful..it adds such charm to the table.

kathee said...

Beautiful JOB Marcy!! I love it!! I too was wondering what happened to you girl..xok

Olive Cooper said...

My college kiddo was just on spring break and next week she is coming home for the entire month of May-life delightfully disrupted. Love your runner-much better than ruffles for me.

sissie said...

Pretty burlap runner. Love it!

hugs
Sissie

Auntie Bliss said...

It looks so soft!
You did good, Marcy.

Linda said...

I dropped in from faded charm. Love the runner. Love your white ironstone. Thanks for sharing and the tutorial.

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

I have one just like this, bff!

I paid $36 for mine bc I did not know I could make one and have it look this fantastic, Marcy!

Live and learn. Oh well.

Did you get your new sofa?
Do tell.
:)
xoxox
A

Nancy @ Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I just set my table with burlap and now I know I HAVE TO DO THIS! I love it and I love your dining room...your hutch is to die for! You've set it up beautifully with all the brown transferware (my love! lol) and the white ironstone. GORGEOUS!

Nancy

Nancy @ Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I just set my table with burlap and now I know I HAVE TO DO THIS! I love it and I love your dining room...your hutch is to die for! You've set it up beautifully with all the brown transferware (my love! lol) and the white ironstone. GORGEOUS!

Nancy

Nancy @ Nancy's Daily Dish said...

and I love your wood floors in there to, btw...

Blondie's Journal said...

I love this, Marcy! You really did a wonderful job and your directions are easy to follow! Love your dining room, too! :)

XO,
Jane

chateau chic said...

I like the no sew part! Looks great on your table.
Mary Alice

Inspired by you said...

Great job on the runner! Your display of dishes look great!

Eclectically Vintage said...

You had me at no sew! Since I can't sew a button, this is perfect for me!

Pinning this fabulousness!
Kelly

Red Gate Farm said...

LOVE it! I'm trying this one for sure! I think it was Pottery Barn that had something similar last year... Thanks for the fabulous, detailed instructions and tips :)

~Chris

Amy Kinser said...

I love your runner! Looks so great.

Your whole room is beautiful.

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

What a great idea...I may try this! Pretty ironstone collection you have too!
♥Linsey

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

I would love to try that Marcy...I may be the only person without burlap in her house...!

Rani @ La Maison Jolie said...

Absolutely amazing!!!! Im going to try this for sure! No sew method is perfect for me!!! :) Thanks for sharing!!!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I read that post at The Country Farmhouse, but didn't think it would be so easy! Thanks for sharing. It's on my to do list for birthdy gifts. And one for me, too! Yours looks lovely on your table.

vignette design said...

Your hutch full of ironstone is just beautiful.
I'm going to try to make the burlap runner. I have a long table too and can never get a runner long enough. Love the fringe. Love how you staged the table too with the tray and demijohns. ~Delores

Claudine from CondensedLoveHome said...

LOVED IT!!!
I am going to try this one!!! Folding does not bother me and also agree with doing the knots how you did!

Kelly said...

That turned out great! Love how it looks hanging off the ends of your table. I know what you mean about burlap being messy. It seems the more of it I have in the house, the dustier my house is! But, I still love it anyway.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What a beautiful result you got! That's the most beautiful burlap I have ever seen. That's an exciting shot of your dining room. So pretty!

Little Leslie said...

Thanks for the how to. I love it and the 16 inch fringe
is so elegant.

Wherever we may be. said...

Hi there!
This burlap runner looks SPECTACULAR on your beautiful table! Something about it seems to tie the whole room together, but in a very subtle way. Love is in the details.

-Tim

Keeping it Cozy said...

I love your runner and it looks beautiful on your table. Thanks for sharing the tutorial - I've often wondered how to make a runner like this!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I love this Marcy! It is perfect on your table...so crisp and clean!

Fabulous!

Lou Cinda :)

Deserae said...

Very pretty....love the long fringe!!! It looks so fabulous on your table :o)
~Des

Diana @ Our Vintage Home Love said...

I love this! Great tutorial!

Marina said...

I love the way it looks, it is charming indeed!

SwedishCorner-DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Great collection of ironstone in the background!
Visiting from White Wednesday

Greetings from Australia♥
~Pernilla

Cheryl~ZanyMayd said...

A Perfect DIY ~ I love this burlap runner, I think I may just have to try it... I think all the birds nesting would love the mess, Too!
thanks for sharing
Cheryl

Mindie Hilton said...

Really pretty table runner. If you want another place to share, please join us on Fridays at Bacon Time for our Anything Goes linky.

Stephanie said...

I just LOVE this! It really doesn't look that easy but you sure made it sound easy!

Courtney @ Brilliant Like Fireflies said...

Wow, what an awesome project, and such a beautiful end result!

Diann said...

What a great tutorial! That runner looks wonderful! Thanks for joining TTF and have a terrific weekend!

Karen said...

So glad you have posted these fabulous photos of your burlap table runner. We are in the market for a beach home and while my husband and realtor son are doing the actual "shopping", I am already planning the decor. How awesome this will look on our trestle table!
Also... I realized when I looked at your side photos.. I've used a couple of your ideas in the past... the silver tray with the glass containers and silver and then the glass canisters with the silver spoons. So fun!!
Karen
Ladybug Creek

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Your runner is "PERFECT" with the centerpiece you have displayed! I have not yet made or bought anything burlap, ALTHOUGH the idea "IS" getting closer and closer to reality.
Thank you for the instructions and inspiration...LOVE your table and how your pulled it all together.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Donna

Design is... All in the Detail said...

I just found your blog and am SO HAPPY - what a beautiful place to spend a few moments in my crazy day! I am your newest follower. Thanks for sharing all the lovelies. Enjoy your weekend. Jalon

Budget Design Girl said...

Thanks so much for the fantastic tutorial! I am trying this for sure!
Love your blog! Just found you via Common Ground, and am following you now! Can't wait to read through your posts.
Have a nice weekend!
xo-Lisa

Something Special said...

beautiful table runner and great idea. I love your home and garden. Just beautiful!

Jenni said...

Oh, your burlap runner is amazing! You did a wonderful job on it, and it looks so beautiful on your table! :) I love this idea!

I hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

Blessings,
Jenni

daisypetals said...

Love the burlap! It is my "go-to" fabric these days. I am going to have to give this a try!

Susy said...

Wow...that's impressive, and it turned out great. Makes me wish I needed a burlap runner! (:

Ali Richardson said...

This is SO SO pretty!! Just stopping by from TT&J :)

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

Your burlap table runner looks amazing and beautiful.

Dee

Victoria Mische said...

Your burlap is amazing and really unique. Your table is also beautiful, and you always offer such good ideas and information. Keep it up!

Spandex Chair Covers

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This is a great project! Would you consider linking it up to my Pinworthy Projects Linky Party over at Just Us Four?

Maria said...

How beautiful! I love burlap, and I just love how you made the tassels on the ends, this is so pretty! I have some burlap at home, you inspired me to make something with it!

Sue said...

Marcy, I simply love the long, knotted strands!! I have lots of extra fabric from a previous project, so I may have to try this. I also have some landscape fabric (more open weaved burlap) that would work, too. I get the whole un-regular posting thing- don't know how people can do it every day. Life can get so crazy busy!
:-) Sue

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Oh Marcy your runner is DIVINE....THANK YOU for sharing....!!

Would you believe when I was out & about the other day I found a WHOLE ROLL of burlap....I think I'll be trying this one myself....!!!!

Hope you're having a BRILLIANT week....!!

Cheers from Oz,
Tamarah :o)

classic • casual • home said...

Love your dining room. I really want to try this!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love this project, it's going on my to-do list for sure.

Lee said...

This is a cute project and it might be something I could actually pull off. Good job!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Hi Marcy,
Hope you enjoyed your (BREAK) with the kids, LOL. Thanks for sharing the cool no sew runner, maybe this I can do!
Get some rest.
Hugs,
Patti

Cindy@Cutepinkstuff said...

Hello, Marcy, from T.O! Thanks for stopping by my blog via Jennifer's COTM May feature! So nice to meet you online!

Good tutorial! Thanks for the tips. LOVE BURLAP~~~~BUT YES, IT'S MESSY!

busanalayali said...

Its the details of our lives I think that in some respects make the impact. Its only once in a while the big picture matters. I loves these photos of the details.
toko busana muslim

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

This is AWESOME!!!! I just partnered up with a burlap supplier and I have A LOT of burlap on its way to me. Thanks for inspiring me with a beautiful project:)

Dear Lillie said...

LOVE this, Marcy! And I always love seeing your gorgeous dining room!

Nancy @ Nancy's Daily Dish said...

HI Marcy,

I linked to you today and borrowed one of your basket pics with the bread board. I linked to that post also! Thanks for letting me use your wonderful photo!

Nancy

http://nancysdailydish.blogspot.com/2012/05/from-conflict-to-collectible.html

The Sterling Cherub said...

Look at you! That's a lovely runner, and you did a great job with it. Looks fabulous on your table.

thistlewoodfarm said...

So glad you are back! I love the burlap runner idea! I have seen the knotted ends and I think it's such a clever idea!

blessings,
karianne

PS I am pinning this :)

Designs By Pinky said...

Your burlap runner is PERFECT on your table and in your dining room. I can't believe how easy this seems, I will try it. I am not a seamstress so this is something I could do!!! Love your hutch and also how you have the table display with the tray and demijohns! XO, Pinky

The Old Painted Cottage said...

This runner is gorgeous!

oxox
Jennifer

Alison said...

Hey gf!
I linked up a photo i found of your white ironstone collection to my post this morning.
Check it out when you get a chance ok?
Miss you!
xoxox
A

DEANNE MORSE said...

I KNOW YOU ARE TAKING FAMILY TIME BUT I WANTED YOU TO KNOW I WAS NOMINATING YOU FOR THE SUNSHINE AWARD BECAUSE YOU WERE MY ORIGINAL INSPIRATION FOR WRITING A BLOG AND HAVE BEEN MY FAVORITE GUILTY PLEASURE EVER SINCE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE OR WANT TO TAKE THE TIME TO POST THIS IT IS OK BUT YOU CAN FIND MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE AWARD HERE http://delightfulcuriosity.blogspot.com/2012/06/sunshine-award.html

LL from KS said...

Knock knock! Are you still there? Missing your posts!

Maalai said...

Hi all World historical events,Android apps tamil news,World news on androidBreaking news for iphone

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Your burlap runner is just stunning! It looks perfect on your table (with all your pretty ironstone!) What a great tutorial.
Your project would be perfect to share at TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS, my new weekly linky party! It is live every Wednesday evening at 8:00. Come on over and join in!

jas said...

love that runner!

http://forallthatjas.blogspot.com/

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I think I need one of these for our family room coffee table! Thanks for the tutorial.

Ron said...

Love natural burlap. I am your newest follower:) I love what I see. xo, Ron, Uptown Acorn

Ellora Drinnen said...

So glad to know someone else loves burlap as much as I do! I just did a burlap table runner and was thinking of how to keep the ends from fraying any more. This is a fantastic idea and it looks great! Thanks for the inspiration. Saw your feature over at Homestories A2Z! :)

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Just found you through Google Images.

I'm thinking about making a burlap runner - and I love the knots. Your tutorial will come in handy. (And, no-sew is the bomb!)

BTW, burlap also make a fantastic no-sew Christmas tree apron :)

~ Dana
Cooking At Cafe D

Melissa Owczarzak said...

Hi!!! I just found your site thru a comment u left at the inspired room and now I am totally gonna follow you!!! I live in a home built in 1831 and am an obsessive decorator lol. I just started a blog thetinsel.com and I would love it if you would check it out :-)

Melissa Owczarzak said...

This is so amazingly cool!! And it looks so easy! I'm on it!! Thanks Marcy!!!!

Walton Lee said...

Wow!!! What a beautiful table cover. Its just awesome. I also love trestle table cloths but yours is just gorgeous.