Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Vintage Crates ~



I'm sure I am not the only person who struggles with paper pileup.... Some days, I don't even want to go to the mailbox... more papers to sort! Ugh....

We have a built-in desk in the kitchen. In theory, this is a great place to pay bills, place incoming mail and sort paperwork... In reality, the desk has become 
the junk station!

Yes, we do place incoming mail here...   
lots of it... 
piles and piles of it!! 

Oh, and the bulletin board above the desk?? 

far from an inspiration board... 

We pin up everything we don't want to loose in the paper piles!

Recently, I was working on rearranging my kitchen decor and accessories. Sadly, I completely ignored the desk area. If you missed the post on my kitchen updates click here.


This entire desk space was becoming increasingly embarrassing when friends came over to visit... I don't want visitors seeing all my bills, paperwork, and my mammogram reminder notice on display...

I was determined to find a paper pile-up solution. I went to the office supply store for a file box. I was looking for an attractive storage container... Something open and without a lid. 


There were two choices, cardboard or plastic... I left the store empty handed because I didn't want to spend $18 on a plastic file box. 

When I came home, I looked around for something I could convert into a file box. I remembered I had a couple of vintage deposit box crates my neighbor gave me... I was using one of these crates in the family room for CD storage. 


If you missed that post click here. 

I still had another crate {or two} in the garage that was not being used. I brought one inside to see if it would work as a file box...




This was the character I was looking for!  

Perfect because it was sitting empty in my garage and was

FREE!!!

At Target, I found some pretty file folders in the office department....


I liked the colors and thought they would look good in the open crate. I made some labels on my label maker so the files would look tidy...


I placed my folders inside the crate, and truth be told, I was a bit unhappy with the outcome... The folders looked pretty but they just flopped over, papers were falling out and becoming unorganized.... again.

Since the files were just a bit too small to stand upright in the crate, Mr. AntiqueChase suggested I try some hanging folders... 

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

I measured the interior of my deposit box which was 12 x 14 inches. I purchased some basic green hanging folders that I thought were a nice vintage color...





Came home and placed the hanging files in the box...
what do you know... 

they are a perfect fit!






 I slipped the pretty files into the hanging folders and they are secure and don't flop around. Everything stays neat and tidy inside the crate!




There's plenty of storage space inside the crate...


I call these my working files...
papers that need to be organized 
but not filed away yet...

Some categories I set up:
Action 
Follow Up
Bills
Receipts
To File
Cheer
Football
A file for each family member
Coupons
Inspiration (clippings from magazines)

I have been using this crate system for a couple of months and it's working well... Since the box is open, without a lid, it's easy to drop papers in and find exactly what I am looking for quickly!

AND it has the vintage look I love....


I keep it in the kitchen and it still looks attractive.

I was lucky to have a neighbor gift me her unused crates.... But, they are very easy to find...you can purchase them at flea markets, thrift stores and antique malls. I see similar vintage crates all the time at the flea market for about $15.00... I would much rather have a piece of history as my file box than an $18.00 piece of plastic from the Office Supply store... Don't you agree ??

I have been hearing rumors about 'Google Friend Connect' changing and possibly disappearing. This may affect some of my readers who follow my blog. I would like to invite you over to my Facebook page. 

No matter what happens with GFC, 
we can stay updated on Facebook!!

I always alert my Facebook readers when a new blog post is up... 

Would you please take a moment 
and click thru to the Facebook page??


Hope to see you there!!
Marcy :)

Linking with these FAB parties:

29 comments:

Sue said...

Marcy, You're on Blogspot, so your GFC widget and listaren't going away. However... If Google leads us down on the path to Google + and take away GFC away from us, it would be good to have a back-up followers list.
That is why I am using Linky Followers in addition to GFC. I did this a couple do weeks ago and wrote a short post about it. Check it out and see what you think- click on my widget on my blog! ~Sue

Olive Cooper said...

Marcy, the crate is vintage and practical and not plastic! It all worked out well. hugs, olive

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love this idea! What great luck that the hanging folders fit perfectly. You can always add pretty paper to them, too. I've been trying to deal with paper as soon as it comes into the house. Especially since when we moved, I had to spend an awful lot of time shredding paper that we weren't about to bring with us.

I caved and added the Linky Followers to my blog side bar, too. I wasn't going to, but then I was thinking maybe I should just stick it up as a "just in case".

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I love this solution! It's a great look.

Susy said...

What a great solution; I'm inspired to get my desk in order!

gina said...

You are lucky you had those crates already. I have been looking for some for my files but they are way too expensive. Keeping my eyes open though.

My desk area sounds just like yours...piles and piles. As soon as I do get rid of one the mail comes again....it is a vicious cycle.

Faded Charm said...

I love this idea! Who doesn't have lots of paperwork sitting around. I do have some vintage metal file baskets, but even those just get piled up and you have to dig to find what you are looking for.

Thanks and enjoy your day!

xoxo
Kathleen

Cindy said...

Omg, that is so much better than a stupid plastic thing. I love the richness of the beautiful old wood, it has character and charm. I can't believe the hanging files fit, that is just toooooo good!

Cindy

Pam said...

Great idea. I just love the pretty file folders they make now. So much better than the plain old manilla colored ones. I have a huge cheesebox that holds file folders on my desk, but they sort of flop over the top because it's a little too short. I'll have to find something bigger for them.

And BTW, I found this post because I already follower you on Facebook. I love following people that way!

chateau chic said...

Love your solution for papers, bills, etc. I'm with you...no plastic on my desk! Great post....that reminds me I need to make an appointment for a mammogram....:-))
Thanks for stopping by, Mary Alice

Auntie Bliss said...

I so love this!!! You R genius!
and funny...mammogram LOL LOL...

Rani Engineer said...

Love the filing solution! How creative! :) Rani (lamaisonjolie.blogspot.com.au)

Deserae said...

Love this....such a clever idea! I just wish I had a desk area in my kitchen to put a crate for filing! LOL
~Des

Stephanie said...

Looks great Marcy - organized and gorgeous - what more could you ask for?

Glenda @ Magnolia Bend Drive said...

love your vintage box. great idea for what is usually a mess at my house. Thanks for sharing.

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

I have struggled with the amount of paperwork that is deposited daily in the kitchen too. It is just overwhelming. The dining room table was always being overrun by mail and bill paying..I decided to try a new system by making it all go up to my office...but that is not working out that well. It does leave my dining room clear, but while all the papers go upstairs they can be ignored and left unpaid!! I think the crate with the open files and your categories make perfect sense to me. This could totally work!!! I am going to try to find a crate and implement this. thanks marcy!!

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Pretty and practical ... what more could you ask for? Great solution!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love the boxes turned file holders. Great idea.

Marcy said...

Love your crate solution! So important to find something that works for YOU - and is pretty too.

- from another 'Marcy' -

Jennifer~My Vintage Bliss said...

Love the idea of using a crate to hold files! I think I may need to do this in my craft room.

Dayle said...

What a perfect solution. I adore vintage.

Kim @ La Belle Époque said...

Yes, this box has so much more character than plastic and cardboard. I'm your newest follower. If you get a chance, maybe you can visit me! Hugs, Kim

Donna said...

Like this idea. Hope I can find a vintage box. Your desk area sounded exactly like my kitchen counter by the phone.Everyday I say I am going to do something about it. Now I am inspired.

hong kong property said...

it looks really nice! i wish i can find something like that too

Hong Kong property

Keeping it Cozy said...

I'm so glad you shared this idea. I have a collection of wooden crates and I'm going to see if I can find one that will work for this!

Kelly said...

Love your crate! I have one that I got from Wuslu. It was one of their "found" items so it is the real deal (not a reproduction). Mine is a milk crate and is in my kitchen. I don't use mine, but love how you used yours! That sure beats those unattractive plastic file bins that the office supply stores sell.

Junker Newbie Stephanie said...

LOVE it! How creative!


Oh and I officially "liked" you on Facebook (I'm on there as Fresh Picked Vintage).

Stephanie

Green Willow Pond said...

Great idea! I too have paper piles. I found a pretty box to put the pile in, but still have to dig through it to find what I want. I have an old crate in my barn...must walk, no run, out and get it to see if it would work.

{{hugs}}
Deborah

Lisa Montsion said...

What a beautiful box to store your files in.

lisa