Friday, February 24, 2012

Bird Nests, Cloches and Camille ~




THIS RE-POST IS DEDICATED TO MY GOOD FRIEND CAMILLE WHO IS 13 YEARS OLD. MANY OF YOU MIGHT REMEMBER THAT SHE IS MY SWEET FRIEND & NEIGHBOR THAT BRINGS ME BIRD'S NESTS. SHE WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH LEUKEMIA AND IS IN THE HOSPITAL. WHILE THE PROGNOSIS IS GOOD, I ASK YOU TO PLEASE PRAY FOR CAMILLE and HER FAMILY. THANK YOU.

I am having a love affair with nature...especially birds nests! I have them displayed though out my home. 

I really do love all birds, with the one exception being black crows, who have decided that my bird bath is a perfect place to bring dead animals..we'll save that bit of goodness for another post shall we... moving on...

I started collecting bird's nests about two years ago. Before I get hate mail, I will tell you I never disturb a nest, but am happy to take the ones that are abandoned or fall from trees. 


The nest pictured above is from my 11 year old friend, Camille. She rang my doorbell and asked me if I wanted it. I keep it separate from the rest of my collection just so I remember her sweetness! 

The cloche was $1.00 from a local Thrift Store.


The nest pictured above is a hummingbirds nest..tiny, tiny thing. It is softer than the others and is a much deeper nest. This was a special treasure from Elise, my favorite 9 year old neighbor...

 Once you get the word out that you collect nests, they magically show up at your door!!

I put the ruler behind the hummingbird's nest so you could see just how small it is!



Again, I keep this nest separate from the other nests because it's so unique and a gift from a good friend.
  
This cloche, was 50 cents at a Thrift Store. I'm not sure if it really is a cloche or what is was originally intended to be. Anyone know?



The nest pictured above is the BIGGEST nest in my collection and must be from a really LARGE bird. I don't know what kind of bird called this home, but I like to think it's an owl's nest. 

It might be from a black crow, but I'm hoping that's not the case {shudder} !!


Here is the "owl's" nest, uncovered. The silver tray was a Thrift Store find and under $5.00.



I purchased this cloche from a local Garden Center. I love the large glass finial. 


Keeping with the bird theme is my favorite Italian tole lamp... see the little yellow bird on the branch?



he looks so happy guarding all his nests ...



Moving out of the family room and into the entry... what do you know... more nests!!


This cloches hold a big collection of smaller nests... there are probably 15 nests under this one cloche...



This cloche was purchased at Home Goods (love that place). It originally had a wooden base with it but I swapped that out with another silver tray.  Did you notice the blue birds (or swallows?) on the Victorian oil painting? 

The bird theme never ends... 
The handle on this cloche is really beautiful and unique....


Again, the tray is a Thrift Store find.. they are always under $5.00..



Here the nests are uncovered. I had few more, but my niece and my nephews always ask to take one home (parting favors?) and I can never say no..

Here are some little eggs (real) that I purchased and put in a jar just to continue the 'bird theme'.



Entry way filled up with treasures...

Hope you are inspired to collect a nest or two and display them in your home.. 
They really are works of art!

42 comments:

Val said...

Oh so beautiful!!!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Beautiful vignettes! Marcy I love it all!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Beautiful nests and I will certainly remember your young friend.

Alabaster Rose Designs said...

Camille will definitely be in my prayers and her family as well!!!
It always breaks my heart when these precious children get cancer!!
Take care and your nests are beautiful!!~
Sincerely,
Melinda

Olive Cooper said...

Will pray for that sweet child. I used to care for leukemia patients in the early 1980's and shall never forget their struggles. I also have several birds nest from our property and love yours under all that glass.

Cottage and Broome said...

Will keep your little neighbor in my prayers. How sweet she brings you those nests, loved them, Laura

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love your nests under glass, Marcy! Those round trays you have for bases are gorgeous ~ I don't think I've been lucky enough to find round ones like that. I'm sorry to hear that your friend is sick; I will pray that she gets better soon and that the treatment works 100%!

My Cozy Casita said...

Will pray for Camille so sweet of her bringing you those nests.
Blessing
XO
Isora

Judy said...

I have one nest I found that had been abandoned and I brought it in to use....as the old saying goes "You can't beat Mother Nature for beauty".

Special prayers going up for your sweet friend...she sounds like a wonderful person.

Judy

Cindy said...

I just love your precious nests. I have only one, and it's one of my favorite things. They all look so pretty under the cloches... ( is cloches actually a word? Sounds kinda like saying geeses!)

Cindy

Deserae said...

I will say a little prayer for your sweet little Camille :o) Your collection of bird nests are so pretty displayed under the cloches!!! I only have a few bird nests but I cherish each and every one of them :o)
~Des

Pat said...

Saying a prayer for Camille.

Your nests and cloches are wonderful.

Pat said...

Saying a prayer for Camille.

Your nests and cloches are wonderful.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

She'll certainly be in my prayers.

kathee said...

My prayers and thoughts go out to Camille's family! What a sweet friend to bring you such a beautiful gift of nature! I would love to kiss her forehead! Sending hugs girl...xoxokathee

The Tablescaper said...

May God be with your friend on her difficult journey.

- The Tablescaper

Debra Hall said...

My prayers go to Camille and her family. May Gods love keep them comforted. What a sweetheart she is to bring you nests....

Nancy @ Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I'm so sorry about Camille! I will be praying for her and her family.

The bird nests are all so pretty. I have one and I'd love to have a few more. Your vignette is great!

nancy

Sarah said...

Mother Nature provides beautiful art! I taught elementary school for 30 years. We had various nests that were part of our science station. They truly are works of art. I left my collection of nests at school when I retired, but have one small one in our home. I acquired it recently. It is from Amish country.
I like the way you have yours displayed on silver trays under glass cloches. Another work of art. ~ Sarah

Sarah said...

My prayers and thoughts will be with Camille and her speedy recovery. My great niece was diagnosed at age 5. She is now 8 and doing well. Best wishes to Camille.

Olga said...

Saying a prayer for your sweet Camille and her family. I love all your nest cloches.

Anne said...

Lovely blog, and I, too, am obsessed with nests.. I'm also a new follower!
♥ Prayers for sweet Camille!
Anne

Carol Bennett said...

Love everything about this post! I adore bird's nests, I too, leave them alone until "everybody"has left the nest.Had one built in the wreath on the front door last Spring! So sweet of you to remember your young friend! Come see me in my new "home", antiquesanduniqueslafayette.wordpress.com.
Carol in GA

Little Leslie said...

I love it all! I bought a notebook full of real butterflies in little glassene sleeves and put them in a cloche. I love birds, butterflies, cloches, silver trays too. And as for the crows bringing dead things, I have a kitty for that. Thank goodness he doesn't put the dead critters in the bird bath, but on our carpeted living room floor.
Which would you prefer? haha

Little Leslie said...

Oh yes, love the beach glass in the jars.

Susie said...

May Camille be nested in prayers and love.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I will pray for your sweet little friend. Love the bird nest and the cloches. Hugs, Sherry

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Thanks for sending me by, Marcy.
I will pray for Camille.
Love your nests and bird related collections! So much fun stopping by to see snippets of your gorgeous home.

xox
Alison

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Camille is a wonderful friend to think of you so sweetly. I will send a prayer for her. ((hugs))

Your arrangements are beautiful. What an amazing collection you have!

xx

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

What a sweet post. So sorry to hear about Camille. This is the second post I've read today on someone with cancer! :( Hoping she heals quickly. Love all the nests she brings you and that she thinks of you.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I love all your nests and the beautiful way you display them....so gorgeous!

And I most definitely will say many prayers for sweet Camille :)

Lou Cinda

Kelly said...

You do have a great collection of nests. I love all that texture and knowing they are from your own yard or area is even better! That breaks my heart hearing about your neighbor being sick. I have a 10 yr old son and just can't imagine how scary that would be for both parents and child. Glad to hear that her prognosis is good though. Thanks for stopping by and visiting me too.

Dear Lillie said...

What a beautiful post and I will be praying for your sweet little friend and her family!

Fash Boulevard said...

omg, so cool and beautiful. so glad I found your blog. I'm definitely following now. I can't wait to read more. If you get a sec, I'd love if you'd check out my blog. It's all about the adventures of a small town girl taking on the LA fashion scene. xo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

Denise Cerro said...

Nests...I love these nests! You've given me another thing to look for and create with! Love what you've done with them...and all things on your blog! Thank you so much for sharing it all...and prayers to Camille and her family.

Sunasa Cottage said...

such beautiful blog.. love it..

Diana(Dina) said...

great blog! I'm a new follower =)

Rusty Hinge said...

Thank-you for your visit to my blog and for following along! I love your collection of nests. I wished I lived closer, I could give you all my nests that I find in my yard. I love them but I never know what to do with them all! :)
I hope and pray for little Camille and that she feel's God's arms wrap around her.
Maria

La Brocanteuse said...

Please tell your little friend we are ligthing a candle all the way over in South Africa for her and her family..God bless Colette x

Ivy and Elephants said...

Now I feel like nesting!!! Yours are gorgeous and all displayed so beautifully! Such sweet and special little friends.
Hugs,
Patti
Don't forget to link.

Audrey said...

I also love birds nests.They are so interesting.Need to find cloches to protect and display them. Love what you have done. Am a new follower.
Blessing,
Audrey

classic • casual • home said...

My prayers are with Camille.