Thursday, March 24, 2011

Waterfront Property ~

When you live in a City with the name 
Thousand Oaks
you take aggressive steps to preserve and protect 
the City's namesake...
the
OAK TREE...

Most Oak trees in my town are Large Valley Oaks 
which are estimated to be between 200-300 years old...

Here is our beautiful Oak Tree...


Anyone in Southern California will tell you 
these are gorgeous trees
with the most majestic large canopies...
but they are also endangered 
and highly protected!!

We've had rainstorm after rainstorm in California....

Just last weekend, 
Thousand Oaks received 5 1/2 inches of rain...

So much rain, 
in so little time...

turned my house into waterfront property!
(as my good friend Helene described it)

But not the good kind of waterfront property...


That's our Oak Tree...
sitting in rain water 3 feet deep!!


Deep rain water 
combined with fierce winds
 had me really concerned we might loose 
our gorgeous Oak tree...

Mr. AntiqueChase didn't seem too concerned
as he told me: 

"It's only a clogged drain"
"Oak trees don't fall" 
"Calm down"
"Relax"

But I didn't want to relax!!!

We just lost one of our Oak Trees last year due to disease...
I didn't want to loose another...

I urged Mr. AntiqueChase to look into renting or buying a pump....

He finally got sick of me complaining  purchased a pump 
which claimed to pump out 1000 gallons of water an hour...

But still, 
after and entire day of running the pump 
the water level never changed...

Probably because it continued to rain and rain
like nothing I've ever seen before....

There were plenty of wet clothes and lots of mud...


And torn up drain pipes...


And two sleepless nights 
of me worrying about that tree....

When Mr. AntiqueChase finally  found the clogged drain
I was so relieved...

but a tiny bit embarrassed that maybe
just maybe
 I over reacted...


I mean Oak Trees don't fall...

Right?


Are you gasping for air?

That's my poor neighbor's house and car
under their massive Oak tree...

Too much rain and too much wind...

Mr. AntiqueChase finally understands 
why I was freaking out so concerned!!!

We are expecting two more storms this weekend....
Holding on tight....

Wasn't it just January when I was bragging about our 90 degree heat?

Thanks for stopping by!!

Linking to these parties:

14 comments:

Polly said...

Oh my gosh! That is crazy to see that huge tree down like that! And so sad too. I'm glad you saved your tree!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Yes, they do fall and have been doing that a lot here over the past couple of years after a sever drought and then lots of rain. Hope you dry out soon.

Martina said...

That's such a beautiful tree I can see why you were so worried, I would be to. Martina

oh yvonne said...

Oh wow, Marcy, you were smart to be concerned! I am so glad your tree held up. Crossing my fingrrs we don't dumped on too much more, man we need to dry out!

High Street Cottage said...

Marcy you had good reason to be concerned. We have believe it or not huge Red Woods in our yard in the back. I have heard the roots are not that deep and can fall if there's too much water around them. You're poor neighbor! We plan on cutting the trees a great deal this year. Our City's tree is the Oak too, and we too have had our fill of the Rain. Hope we and you get a dry spell soon, tami

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Marcy,
We are in the same"boat" LOL.
Wow the damage the oak tree caused is amazing..When we moved into our home last May we had to have 10 very old diseased trees removed..Now we have baby trees..
I would have been freaking out too.
Stay warm and dry..
Big hugs, Elizabeth

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Yikes ... I hope nobody was hurt under your neighbour's oak! Your tree is magnificent and your worry is justified.

Bella @Bellgetsreal said...

that is so sad. The tree was gorgeous (not to mention the car)

Us woman just KNOW about nature and things. The MR in the world should know that by now.

Lolo @ The Adventures of Stig and Lolo said...

You had me giggling at "waterfront property"....but only for a sec. I definitely know about fallen oak trees! Its like a semi truck when it falls down. On the plus side, thats alot of $ in oak fire wood for BBQ's :)
Crossing my fingers for all of us with all this rain...coming again. Sheesh....
I am dreaming of our 90 degree weather too!

XOX

ps - god made us women "naggers" for a reason!!

Mary C. said...

I'm so glad you put so much effort into saving your tree! My heroine!

SHERRY HART said...

Oh my gosh...I am with you on that one! We also have a 150 year old oak in our yard and if it ever falls I will probably go to heaven! I hope:)

Val said...

Marcy!!! That is a huge Oak. My backyard was totally flooded.

Marigene said...

I can't imagine the shock that homeowner got when that huge old oak came crashing down on their home and vehicle. It is sad it is no longer shading their home.

Sarah Rachele said...

Wow, crazy! We had a tree down in our front yard and it brought the power line down with tit. Love you photos and your blog. I happened upon your site via another one I follow.:)