Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My Friend Craig ~


I have this good friend Craig.... and oh.... how I love him!!! 

You may know him too...

I'm referring to Craigslist... of course!!  

I discovered Craig about 2 years ago and we became fast friends!!  Upon snapping up some great treasures,  I quickly proclaimed "I may never buy anything new again." 

Through the years, my husband and I were always interested in purchasing a Grandfather's clock...we just never wanted to spend the money.

I started searching Craig's List to see what I could find. I was struggling to find a clock that would match my interior. Many of the clocks I was seeing looked pretty dated or just weren't my style. 

Most clocks on Craig's List seemed to be a dark walnut color.  I was hoping to find something that would compliment my existing furniture which was a warm honey shade of pine... 

It also needed to have a pleasant chime and keep the correct time... Important features for a clock! 

Just before Christmas, I found a listing for a Grandfather's Clock, with a great price and it was within 3 miles of our home! This was perfect timing as I could probably convince my husband that we needed to go to a strangers house to see a clock... 

Possible Christmas present...right?

Well, we went to see the clock 
and bought it on the spot...

We immediately called a friend to help us move it down a flight of stairs and lift it into the truck.  We threw a black tarp over it and strapped it in the pickup truck... standing up!  It looked hilarious, like we were driving a casket down the street!

Here it is in my entry way...


It stands about 7 feet tall...
I love the burl wood at the top...


I loved the face of the clock 
it had some smudges 
that added to it's charm...



I love the two little cottages at the top...
and the large pendulum 
makes a tick tock I adore...



This clock has 9 brass tubes
which give it's chime
a delightful sound...


Love the tassel 
and skeleton key



What I loved the most about this particular clock
was the open glass sides...

It keeps the room airy and light...



Here's how the Grandfather clocks looks in the entry...

So, tell me
what have you found 
on Craigslist??

Also linking to:

Thanks so much for stopping by!!

20 comments:

Laura said...

I always spot things on Craigs List, but never have the room for them in my house :-(... on a side note my parents (in the UK) have the most amazing grandfather clock in their attic... the face has painted roses on it... I know roses are your thing... it's such a shame that they have all these beautiful antiques stuck in their attic and I'm all the way over here... Lx

Lisa said...

Craig sure gets around because I've been having an affair with him for a few years myself! Your clock is lovely and your patience paid off! I can't even begin to list all the items I've purchased off Craig's list. I'm actually going Thursday nite to look at an antique desk and Friday afternoon to see a mirror. I've even bought a grandfather-type clock that I've made over (a future post). Other motorists must have wondered what was under the tarp (lol). Take good care ~ Lisa ~

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Marcy, Your clock is beautiful and I also love the lighter wood and the glass sides! I have had a love affair with Craig for quite a while. Actually, about half of our home has been furnished by Craigslist. It is amazing what you can find and your lovely clock is a great example!
xo, Sherry

Auntie Bliss said...

I have an almost exact clock and need lessons on how to wind it and set it LOL! But I haven't tried Craig out yet...I'm afraid I'll go nuts from what I've heard!

Val said...

Oh Craig....How I love thee, Come over to my tropical oasis in Dos Vientos!! Haha. We can admire Craig together. Great finds.

Sarah said...

Marcy, I've never used Craig's List. Guess I should give it a try. Your clock is fabulous. I love the tick tock of a clock, add a beautiful chime and I'm swooning. LOL
Your home is so beautiful. I never tire of seeing photos.

Pattie said...

I am so jealous right now! I have always wanted a grandfather clock. This one is gorgeous!
I have purchased quite a few things on CL but my favorite thing is a chair and a half. It's the most comfortable chair I have ever owned and it was an expensive piece which I paid $75 for.
Pattie @ On Hollyhock Farm

Lori said...

Funny, I thought of Craigslist when you said the word Craig. I love that internet world. Need to sell some stuff, gonna try it.

Pat said...

Gorgeous clock. I love this view of your room. Beautiful!

I'm still going around blogland notifying folks about my move to Typepad.
The new address is:
http://backporchmusings.typepad.com

Hope to see you there.

Tammy@ A Doctor in the House said...

Huge fan of Craig! Most of my furniture is from him. I've never seen a grandfather clock on there. What a score! Lovely!

KATHY said...

Your clock is gorgeous!! I love where you have it. It looks so nice with your oh so cute chairs on each side.I have only bought one thing from craigslist, but it's a great way to go....Kathy

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

That truly has to be one of the most beautiful grandfather clocks I've ever seen! Love the wood.

Ha! You have no idea how "Craig" has played a role in my life! Craig is even my husband's best bud. I've bought numerous furniture pieces (dining room and bedroom furniture, a coffee table etc.). But, without a doubt, our most significant and unusual purchase has got to be a house and horse farm in the country our daughter saw advertised on Craigslist. And a new barn. Seriously! The barn owner (a contractor) disassembled it on his property, trucked it to our horse farm and rebuilt it. Hubby also bought a tractor, a flatbed trailer, and a couple storage sheds for the farm from Craigslist.

Yes, Craigslist has changed our life, drastically!

Cori said...

Oh Gosh!

I'm having a "thing" with Craig TOO! I just posted a "wanted" listing looking for old wood windows being removed from our great old homes here in town and I already got a response!

Don't be afraid to ask for what you want! The clock is amazing and looks perfect in it's new home.

LOVE IT!
\
Cori

kallen1105 said...

First I luuuuvvvv your blog and your house is absolutely beautiful!... I used your succulents in silver idea and love the way it turned out. I am a big fan of Craiglist too. Others trash may be my treasure. I only found it about 6 mos. ago and have bought a welsh dresser and a cute rooster lamp with red ck lamp shade. It's funny but I have been looking for a Grandfather clock too. I wanted one like you got with the rounded top and open sides. Lucky you! I'm still looking. Keep sharing all your wonderful decorating ideas and house. I'm a fan and follower. Thanks Karen from Texas

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Oh Oh Oh! This is gorgeous!! I have never been able to find anything on Craigslist but it must just not be that popular in my area.

You scored big time! This is stunning and I know it sounds melodic! (how did you like that big word...melodic) :)

Lou Cinda

Andrea - Faded Plains said...

What a great clock...and as for Craigs List...I've found...zip...zero...zilch...nada...well...except for some brome hay for my goats ;o)

Deserae said...

Your grandfather clock is gorgeous! I have never seen one with a dial like that before....so pretty! I have bought tons of stuff on CL. I usually have to drive about an hour but it's soooooo worth it! Can't wait to see more of your finds :o)
~Des

Urban Farmgirl said...

I love me some Craigslist! Being a furniture painter, I buy things from Craig weekly. I love a deal, but now I have discovered something new. Storage Unit auctions. Have you ever been to one?? They are not widely advertised, but the deals are AMAZING!! I went to one last week and every single piece of antique furniture I snagged was only $1 each. Can you believe that??? No one knows what to do with it...but I do!! wink...wink! But of course, Craigslist has things more consistently. LOVE your clock - what a find!!

~mary~

Lolo said...

Oh Craig....he is my lover :) I broke up with my other boyfriend, Ebay. Well, temporarily at least. Haha...
I have found the most amazing things ever on his list. My most recent find is an uber-cool vintage metal filing cabinet with all of the original bin label pulls on it. Guess how much? $50! It is 4 feet wide and about 3 feet tall. It is the coolest thing ever! Im planning on putting it above my craft table in our new house :D
btw - love your clock! I have one on my wish list....its the thrill of the hunt until I find it :)

cleverpenguin said...

What a great clock! I'll be honest; I don't visit Craig nearly enough. Perhaps I should be finding more time to drop in on him?