Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Flower Power & Mr. AntiqueChase ~

Our living room is filled with flowers....year round
no matter the weather... no matter the season.....

Our living room is the first room you see when you enter our house.  When I have visitors, I usually get the same comments... "Wow, this room is so feminine, doesn't your husband mind?"

I always think it's so funny... why would he mind??

Mr. AntiqueChase is a masculine guy... 
he loves sports, tools, electronics and gadgets... 
he is also a Triathlete 
and he is currently on the 'Cave-Man' diet... :) 

However...
he has zero interest in decorating
 ZERO.  

I am always a little envious of the ladies whose husbands will help decorate or give opinions..."Honey, which one do you like better.. this one, or this one?" You lucky girls!!

Even though Mr. AntiqueChase doesn't help decorate, he's always willing to pull out the big ladder {again} or hang something really heavy. Using the "stud finder" always sets off his best jokes.....

He is constantly subjected to moving heavy furniture all over the house only to move it back again to it's original location... 
a mere 10 minutes later.. 

I will often joke that I could change the couch out and he wouldn't notice even if he was sitting on it.... okay, maybe that's an overstatement but you get where I'm going with this??

Mr. AntiqueChase has never complained about all the flowers.... 
and until he complains 
we will have flowers...
lots of them!

{can I get an Amen...}

I thought I would take you on a close up tour of the living room 
to look at some of my favorite floral elements... 


This is a photograph taken by Jennifer, at The Old Painted Cottage, when our home was featured as Cottage of the Month, August 2010.  Jennifer was at our house for 2 full days and of all the beautiful photos she took, I think this one is my very favorite. It captures the exact feeling of the room, which I hope is warm and inviting...

Let's take a closer look at some of the flower elements repeated in the room... 

WARNING...
picture heavy post...


This is an antique oil painting of roses.. pink..my favorite!



Tattered and missing paint..only adds to the charm!




Here, I paired it with a vintage chamber pot.  
This chamber pot has pink roses which repeat my theme nicely.

Chamber pots make great plant holders, especially for ivy. 
You can find them at flea markets and antique shops. 



My favorite chair with a soft floral print. This one has roses and daisies. I purchased this from Ethan Allen about 15 years ago... I remember when I first got it I was so excited. A friend, with very modern taste, came over and asked if I inherited it from my grandma.. I guess she thought it looked outdated, lol!

I gotta tell you
there is something really sexy 
about a man who can sit in a floral chair!



I have a pair of these vintage tole lamps.. 
I originally purchased them for my bedroom 
but they worked so nicely in the living room, I just kept them here.




This is a tiny tole lamp that I have next to my floral chair.
It sits at the perfect height when I am reading a book...




This little antique table is part of a nesting set of three. 
It has charming hand painted flowers... 
most of which are worn off from age.




This antique oil was purchased on Ebay years ago. 
It's done on canvas. 
A few years later, 
I found this old frame at a barn sale. 
I took them to a framer and had them married.



I love the signature and date on this...




Here is a corner of the living room with more flowers...




This painting had a gold frame. Sometimes I like gold.. 
This one was too gaudy so I brushed it out with some white paint. 
I then took some sandpaper and roughed it up a bit..



Another signature and date on this canvas...



I love this needlepoint ottoman but it's for decoration only. 
It has the loudest springs inside which my kids think is hilarious... 
me, not so much!



I love the way the colors pop off the chocolate background.



This is the floral basket on top of my fireplace mirror...




A sweet dish that belonged to my Nanny...



A bench with delicate floral carving... 


Love the patina...



Purchased at the garage sale across the street for $5.00
I changed out the seat with a yard of Shabby Chic fabric.

With a staple gun, it took 5 minutes!


I have a pair of these tole sconces flanking the fireplace... 
They have porcelain flowers on them.

{I haven't shown you the fireplace because I don't have my mantel yet.}




Antique Paul de Longpre prints scored at the flea market... 
I have two on each side of the living room windows. 



Love the chippy green frames!




This urn holds a fern...
I have a lot of trouble with plants in this Northern facing room! 




Hope you enjoyed a closer look at my "girlie" space...

I want to give a **special thank you** to
for featuring my home!!  

If you haven't been to Kristin's blog,
you must head over... 
It's one of my favorites!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Hope you will follow my blog!

Linking to the following parties:
and
and
and
and

43 comments:

Sue said...

I see we share a passion for roses!

Sue
xo

Laura said...

I wish I had a husband with zero interest. Mine has an opinion on everything when it comes to home decor... I always look at these beautiful, delicate houses on blogs and wonder how it flies with the hubby? I have to sneak feminine touches in... the slow take over... maybe it has something to do with the fact that he has two daughters, a female cat, a female dog... oh and me!
Lx

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Mr. Antique Chase sounds alot like my Steve. As long as he has a place to sit, a tv to watch football, he is good to go...though he does build and move stuff for me too!

The room is beautiful...I think we are lucky! What if they didn't "like" our taste...that could be ugly....

Lou Cinda :)

Olivia~ said...

Ahhhhh, I think your husband might be Mr. Romantic's long lost cousin!!!! He has zero input in decorating! I am not kiddding and he is constantly subjected to projects which involve finding studs and he tells bad jokes and harassses me as we work. He is very sweet but pure man! If you stop by my house you will see that anything goes with roses and such!
You go girl and your living room is GORGEOUS!
Hugs,
Olivia

Tammy@ A Doctor in the House said...

Just found your blog through Lou Cinda. Love it! Your living room is just gorgeous!

kathie said...

Your room is gorgeous!! And I never would have noticed you had so many flowers until you pointed them all out :) Your husband & mine would get along quite well... he has NO interest in what I do with the house, only to nod "yes, dear" when I ask if he likes what I've done lately. He is completely supportive, but will defer to my opinion every time and I kind of like it! Great post!

Hilary @ Sweet as June said...

beautiful! and those lamps... I'm in love!

Green Willow Pond said...

My husband is pretty much the same way. Although when I started painting several things black lately, he asked if I was going "Goth" on him. LOL!

awal.ny said...

Mr. sounds a lot like my husband. I am very happy that he has no interest in decorating our home. Every once in a while I will ask him if there is anything about the decor that bothers him, about his only complaint is that he needs a little more room to set down his coffee. I love your home, I did see it as Cottage of the Month.

Okie Chic said...

Soo pretty and I love that 5 dollar bench!!!!

shannon i olson said...

what a lovely room, that sconce....my fav!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

"SIGH"...gorgeous!!! I love this room and all of its girliness! My husband is the same way! I have free reign to do as I please...he actually loves everything I do! I have only heard him complain once and that was about too many things not feminine or masculine!

I will be returning often to check out these pics...love love love!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Marcie, I have made it no secret how much in love I am with your home. The paintings, urns, bench...everything. Gorgeous!
Hugs, Sherry

sissie said...

Your home makes my heart skip-a-beat! It's so lovely, warm and inviting.
Your Mr.Antique is like my Mr.Sissie. He sometimes doesn't notice anything new in the house until months later! LOL.

hugs
Sissie

Olive Cooper said...

The oil paintings are my favorite or is it the urns? No matter I am now a follower. hugs♥olive

BriarRose said...

Oh my goodness...I'm so happy that I'm part of the club whose husbands could care less how their home is decorated. My brother always teases my husband and says..."I see you are totally in touch with your feminine side". My husband loves football and anything you can do outdoors. Like yours, he is so patient when I say could you just hang one more chandelier, and this one would really look better if we moved it to the guest room (never mind that he'd just hung it in the dining room the month before). I actually think he's kind of proud of our totally feminine home, because everyone is always so comfortable here. He doesn't mind the teasing a bit. :) Debra

BriarRose said...

Oh, and AMEN!

My Blessed Serendipity Life said...

Gorgeous tour of your family room. Love that rose painting and the tole lamp! Happy WW.

-Danielle

Shelia said...

I've so enjoyed a closer look into your beautiful living room! So many lovely things to see.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Lisa said...

You already know I'm a BIG fan of your home and I never tire of looking at pictures of it, especially up close and full of detail. Good on Mr. AntiqueChase - it takes a REAL man to not be threatened by a few pretty objects in the home. But I must say, although you do have a lot of florals in your room - I don't think it's too feminine at all. The colours, textures and natural wood tones keep it all in balance. LOVELY!
Lisa@SuburbanRetreat

Sarah said...

I've adored the look of your home since my first visit. I can't imagin anyone not feeling good about living in your abode. Men can certainly appreciate soft hues and flowers. Beauty of nature! ~ Sarah

Cabin and Cottage said...

Love your rose paintings! What a lovely living room you have! Tole lamps are one of my favs too! Jacqueline

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Your living room is just gorgeous. i think the bench is my favorite.Happy White Wednesday!
Annette

Tammy@ A Doctor in the House said...

To answer your question about the book, some antique store. An old book that I haven't even read. Just like the cover! Who said don't judge a book by it's cover? lol
I'm still drooling over your blog! Have a great day!

Polly said...

Your living room is gorgeous!! I can't believe that amazing collection of ironstone filling your cupboard.....simply stunning!!

My "Mr" could honestly care less about how I decorate, except for in his basement room!

Have a good rest of your week!!

xo

Polly

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love it all and your husband sounds just like mine. I decorate however I want because heaven help us if he put in his two cents. He will do the heavy stuff for me, too. I love the last urn with the fern in it. sooooo pretty.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Delightful and charming! I adore your home...
its very soft and pretty...
The needle point foot stool is amazing, I use to do needle point and it takes a lot of time. This is a very special piece I think.
I enjoyed your front room tour!
Have a sweet day and hugs, Elizabeth

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Everything is just beautiful..I love, love roses. I can totally relate to your comments concerning how men respond to floral, lots of PiNk, whimsy, etsy.

My husband loves the color pink. He loves the romantic shabby way that I deocrate. His muscular 6' 4" frame looks great against a pink background. hee hee

He brings me a fresh bouquet of Pink roses every week not just because he knows I love pink but he does too. :0) My great room walls are all wood except for one sheetrock wall in my computer area and I've painted it pink. He loves it.

Oh, and I have a small pink Christmas tree on top of my frig all year long. I love the twinkly lights yes he does too.

I'm visiting for White Wednesday and I would love to have you come visit with me. ♥

Have a wonderful day,
Stephanie ♥

cleverpenguin said...

I really love your tole lamps! And yes, I do agree with you on the flowers. Although I suppose there's a point where things might be overly floral, I don't find flowers feminine, but neutral. Your room is lovely.

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Thanks for another peek into your lovely home. I was immediately smitten with the choc ottoman and the mirrored accents, especially the mirrored fireplace screen. I sell antique mirrors on eBay and had one almost exactly like yours that I let go....WHAT was I thinking?!?!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I'm soooo with you on this one. My Hubbs LOVES our home....and it is quite girlie...lace curtains, tons of posies and the walls in the living room/kitchen are PINK! Every single man who has ever been here has loved it as well. I think they enjoy living in something that they could NEVER get away with if they were single. Some men just enjoy womanly touches.

Your pix are delish.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Decgal's Humble Abode said...

I saw your favorite chair and ottoman,... and I love it. It reminded me of a garage sale a few years ago that I went to. This lady had a chair and ottoman to match. It was covered in a very soft, pale, pink cotton material. She only wanted five dollars for them. I said that I would think about it. So I drove away thinking to myself where could I put them? Not that I needed another chair. And then it came to me " you can figure that out later "... go back now. Of course when I went back it was gone. I know, I know, that was dumb. I'm still kicking myself. Has this ever happened to you. So enjoy your chair.

Val said...

Oh my....I love love love your home!! I can't wait to come over. lol

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Your so lucky! My husband sometimes has too many opinions on decorating :)
Have a great weekend!
XO

tales from an oc cottage said...

Your home is fabulous!


m ^..^

Debbie said...

Well regardless of your husbands help....your home is gorgeous! You have great taste and style...and obviously Mr. Antiquechase knew that.

Marie said...

J'adore your house so much! Every room, every corner, every nook and cranny...it's perfect for my taste!
-marie

The Cozy Cape said...

Your house is awesome! Did you happen to catch the Nate Berkus show the other day? It was all about husbands and wives that had differing opinions on decorating. Most of the husbands were very vocal in what they wanted. One guy even wanted an fire hydrant and an ATM machine in their tiny Brooklyn apartment!! Seeing that show made me even more grateful for a husband that is willing to be my muscle but really lets me do what i want to the house... he even notices when I change something and gives me a compliment! We can count our blessings!!

The Attic Girls said...

I'm married to a guy who takes 3 months to notice something NEW in the room and II LOVE IT! I don't know what I would do if I had to ask for my husband's opinion before buying something..LOL. I do see and hear it alot in my store. Just today, a very sweet gal brought her husband back to see a piece she dearly wanted for her bathroom wall to hang towels on. She already measured, it was perfect but he poo-pooed the idea. :(

GardenofDaisies said...

You have such a pretty living room!! I really love the needlepoint stool and the floral lamps!!

Willow Decor said...

Your living room is so beautiful! I love the way you layered the arched mirrors - they are just gorgeous! I am so envious - I love them!! Enjoyed reading your posts.
xx-Gina

LLH Designs said...

Well isn't your blog just lovely! And your living room is, too! Thanks for the link!

Our sitting room is super feminine (the pinkish toile chairs, pink roses rug, etc) and yet it's my husband's favorite room because it's so peaceful. And he's as masculine as they come!

xo,
Linsey

arrielle_p said...

Love everything! So beautiful, well designed and one of a kind. Interior shots I think anyone would love to have. :)

philippines properties for sale