Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Flea Market Wednesday ~

There is a little flea market on Wednesday mornings.  I hadn't been in about 6 months.  After I dropped the kids off at school, I figured I'd do a little shopping.. With the drive, I didn't get there until almost 10am...

Sometimes, I wonder about going so late in the morning... 

if I am not there bright and early
 will all the good stuff be gone?


Did I mention this flea market is right next to the beach?





Here's what I came home with:


By far, my favorite find was a large pair of old pictures... I'm guessing these are flapper girls from the 1920's.  They have antique crazed frames, old wavy glass and an oh so soft muted tone. I plan on hanging them in my bedroom...



They have a bit of foxing 
and one has a tiny bit of water damage on the edge
but this only adds to their vintage charm...









They look like drawings but they are prints...dated 1916. 
The seller told me to look up the artist.



The paint on the frames is all crackled...
I love the patina!



I got these sconces from my friend Debra
she always has the best of the best..



They may get a dry brush of white paint...
not sure yet



This vintage oil painting just spoke to me..
maybe it's because I hope to travel next summer??


This painting is done on board...


Love the dressed up ladies...


and the artist's signature...



Here, I've placed in it front of the TV...
how long do you think that will last??

I can hear them now...
"Um, MOM.. move that painting... I can't watch TV!"




Vintage rolling pins
{not sure why I bought these}



Darling old basket to hang on the wall
and fill with today's mail!



An old plate with an oil painting 
of birds...


You know me and my birds... 
and nests....



I need a plate stand or something...


Next up....
what the heck is this thing??


Not sure, but it came home with me anyways....

It had a nice patina to the wood...
I can display it somewhere.



I also got a vintage wicker wine holder 
{you can see it in the group photo}.

I purchased it to bring as a hostess gift 
with a bottle of wine..

when somebody invites me over to dinner at their house... 

If you invite me to dinner
 it could be yours!!

Linking to:
and

Thanks for stopping by
I hope you will consider following me!


18 comments:

Simplegirl said...

Love it! New follower.

Lisa said...

Great finds - looks like a fun day shopping. Love the bird plate. Are the girls enjoying their first week back to school?
Lisa

kathie said...

Oh my! The oil painting!! I have several that could be great friends with the one you brought home today. I love those, especially the ones on boards. Glad you enjoyed your day 'off' with kids in school :)

Angela said...

What great finds!!

BriarRose said...

Hi Marcy,

Consider yourself invited. Next time you are in the Phoenix/Mesa area....we'd love to have you dine with us. :) You really did find some great pieces today. Those prints will be gorgeous in your bedroom. Take care!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Marcy, I love all your finds! The flapper prints are wonderful and oil painting is beautiful. The wood thingy could be a darning egg. Not sure about this because I have never seen one with the egg on each end. I would love to know if you find out.
Hugs, Sherry

Jen Kershner said...

Great finds! I haven't been to a flea market in ages but am looking forward to going to a big one next week! I hope I do as well as you did.

Cori said...

Oh my....I ADORE the 20's girls...what a score!

The oil painting is speaking to me also : )

What a fun flea market on Wednesdays. The only downside I've come up with to living in a small town after being a California city girl all my life. No flea market...just yard sales and an auction once or twice a month.

Love the little wooden "barbell"...looks great sitting on a shelf with your beautiful things.

Cori

Moogie said...

I'm your newest follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

hometown girl said...

what fun finds! i wish there were markets while the kids are in school how great is that? thanks for visiting :) susan

Denise said...

I agree with Sherry, I think your wood piece is a sock darner? that would be my best guess. I've seen similar in Country Living.
looks like some fun finds.

Shirley said...

Yes, sock darner. I love your many different finds. I didn't go to one flea market this summer! Bummer.

Susy said...

You buy fun stuff! Not bad for a mid-week flea.

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

I believe your mystery item is a vintage dumbbell. I have a set of them in my workout room. :)

Amy

Nutbird said...

Yes, that is a wooden dumbbell. It needs some attention, though. Start feeding it with lemon oil and it won't be so cracked. These are very collectable along with the bowling pin looking things called indian clubs, that used to be part of people's fitness routine. Ann

Red Gate Farm said...

Lucky you... a flea market day! I wouldn't have passed up those rolling pins either, especially with red and green handles.

Chris

Dsata said...

Hello, The prints seem to be by Henri Nuyttens (like this one : http://www.ebay.ie/itm/P-F-Volland-Co-Chicago-1916-Print-Dancing-Woman-by-Henri-Nuyttens-1905-1977-/221531628247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33945062d7).

One of them appears on this picture of actress Marian Marsh !
http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsanjgjzdn1qiflw2o1_500.jpg


Thanks a lot for posting.

AntiqueChase said...

Dsata,
Thank you! Looks like you are on to something here. Appreciate you taking the time to comment!
Marcy