Wednesday, August 4, 2010

White Sofas~

When people come into my house they often ask me about my white furniture... How do you have white furniture throughout the house, are you crazy? I have two teenagers, not to mention a husband and a dog..AND I have white furniture. My sofas are slipcovered, I would never in a million years recommend white without it being slipped. 

Are there pros and cons to living with white? Yes and Yes. I do love the ease of living with white, it's helps keep things light and relaxed, which is good because I have a lot of "stuff" in my spaces. I can change my pillows and accessories without worry. I really like that type of decorating! Sure, you can take the slipcovers off and wash them, even bleach them. That comes in handy when you have teenagers who insist on eating chocolate ice cream in the family room (when you're not looking of course). It's also a nice feature when your kids have other messy teenagers over eating buttered popcorn on your couch! It's perfect when your husband has newspaper ink on his fingers or dirt from the garden on his pants. I have NEVER experienced ANY of these things in my home.. I'm just say'n....

Here's what my family room looked like when photographed for Cottage of the Month..clean sofas!
BUT, and here comes the negatives.. changing slipcovers is TIME CONSUMING and it's NOT that easy and it's NOT that fun! The cushion covers fit snug and they are a pain to put back on. You also need a really big washing machine if you want to wash the frame cover. It's just not something I can always keep up with! So, I'm going to let you in on my little secret.. Ready??

Here's what my sofas really look like on a daily basis (...note: my daughter had just been sitting here)
What you may or may not be able to see is that I cover my slipcovered sofas with a bed sheet. Not just any sheet, I tried regular cotton, it didn't look good or feel good and it always came untucked. What I found is that JERSEY T-SHIRT sheets work beautifully. They cling to the sofa and don't slip around. They are soft and cozy next to your skin. The best part is that you can just wash the sheet instead of the entire slipcover!

I use the sheet set sold at Target and right now (any size) set is on sale for $14.99.. Yep, you read that right! You can do two sofas with one set! My set is a queen and my sofa is 86". I wrap the flat sheet over and tuck. Then, I use the fitted sheet for my large chair. I noticed that my sofa arms were getting dirty so now I lay the pillow cases over each sofa arm to protect it from (teenager) dirt.
When the "good" company is coming, I just take the sheets off and my sofas are beautifully clean!  I like this modern-day version of "grandma's plastic covered sofa"..

If you have white furniture, try it and let me know what you think! I guarantee you will have more time to blog!

Linking to:
White Wednesdays at Faded Charm

20 comments:

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

What a great idea! I love a girl that is always one step ahead!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Lisa said...

Marcy - that is a great tip! I have had my eye on the ever-so-popular Ikea sofa with the white slipcovers but have been reluctant because as you mentioned - I have heard the covers are very difficult to put back on again. Your 'little secret' would certainly resolve that problem.

Lisa@Suburban Retreat

Kathy said...

Marcy ...
Just came from viewing your home at "Cottage of the Month"
Congrats. by the way!
The Jersey sheet idea....wonderful.
I walked right by those the other day and never even thought!
I'll be grabbing those next time for sure!
Thanks for the heads up!
xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

AntiqueChase said...

Thank you girls for your comments! I so appreciate them.

Vintage French Hen said...

Hi Marcy, Just found you through "Cottage of the month". Your house is so beautiful, I can see why your home was chosen! Thank you for your tips on slip covers, I'm heading to Target today! Congratulations, you have the beginnings to a great blog...Marcia

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Thank you Marcy! I am definitely going to try this... right after I wash my dirty slipcovers (ugh!)! You're right... it is a hassle and quite a workout to change big furniture slipcovers. I used to do it on my own and it would take me an hour and a half to do it. Now I have my husband helping me, so it goes a little quicker(45 minutes), but is still a hassle! Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my white furniture, but I'm so hoping this works to help with the upkeep of them. Thanks for the wonderful idea!

Have a great day!
~ Jo :)

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Thanks for your visit! You have a gorgeous home and blog! Love how you cover your sofa's! Congrat's on cottage of the month!
Enjoy your day!
Kristin

AntiqueChase said...

Marcia and Jo~
Please let me know how it works out for you! I'm thrilled that you are going to try it out!

Kristin ~ Thank you for your visit too!

So fun to get comments! Thank you all!

bj said...

Amazing. I have wondered if slipcovers were all that easy to jerk off and wash then slip back on. This is a really good tip. Thanks.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

LOVE this! I adore the look of white sofas and I too have one husband and two boys AND four cats! Yes, I know...FOUR! One of whom is....BLACK! Black cat hair! Everytime I look at dreamy white sofas I want them! And then this picture of Simon pops in my head!

This could be the solution to my problem!

Thanks for sharing!

Lou Cinda :)

Midwest Cottage & Finds! said...

I love your white furniture! is it pottery barn? i am researching different sofas as we speak and trying to decide....btw-i LOVE your sheet idea!
chris

AntiqueChase said...

Hi Chris~
My chair is from Ikea and my sofa was a store that is no longer in business. My friend has a pottery barn linen slip couch and it's really comfortable!

Good luck with your research!

Thanks for the visit, hope you come back soon!

lala said...

Your room is so lovely and appears very relaxing. Here's a tip to help put the covers back on. Wrap a plastic dry cleaning bag over the cushion (don't put the cushion in the bag} and then slip the pillow into the cover. Once in, just pull on the bag to remove it from the cushion, works like a charm every time.

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

You answered some questions I'm sure a lot of us had about white couches. Yours look beautiful, and I love the jersey sheet idea!
Blessings,
Marcia

Theresa said...

Thank you for this great idea!!! I so want white slipcovers and have thought the whole being able to wash them was perfect... but this is going to help so much! Theresa

Sarah said...

Clever idea. I've never lived with white sofas, but I love the look.

gongyandsquish said...

I have white slipcovers too and am often faced with the same dilemma! Cannot wait to get some white jersey sheets! Thanks for the tip :)

sherry said...

Girrrlll...I know what you mean! I bought a cheap Target slipcover to cover my slipcover?????? Great idea....I think that would work so much better! Thanks for the tip.

The Cozy Cape said...

I have two white Extorp Ikea chairs with white slip covers and my cat has pretty much ruined one of them. I'd like to just get rid of the cat but my husband won't let me (just kidding!) but I did get kind of frustrated yesterday when I discovered how much damage she had done! I may try this.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

I have two white slipcovered sofas from Crate and Barrel. I LOVE them. I spot clean with a bit of water and Oxiclean spray if I get a spot but, for the most part they stay amazingly clean and white. Mine are pretty easy to take apart, wash and refit, especially when my hubby helps. Maria over at Dreamy Whites assured me I could do white sofas, even with 5 kids, 2 dogs, a husband and 6 grandkids. She was right but, I LOVE your Target sheet idea. I'm going to stalk up on a couple of those sets for those just in case times.