Friday, August 6, 2010

Summer's Treasure~

Yesterday, I took the kids to the beach...

they played in the surf...


while I relaxed and caught up on some reading.


We made new friends...


 we went looking for treasure.. and found some!


Together, my daughter and I collect sea glass. Years ago, people would throw their trash and glass bottles into the ocean. It would tumble around for years finally becoming broken and smooth and then finally wash up on shore. It looks beautiful on the shoreline and glistens when wet. When we find a piece, we always shout out the color to let the each other know what we found.. "Green!!"

We started our collection about 10 years ago when my parents purchased a costal home. My mother is the QUEEN of sea glass. She has jars, bowls, glass lamps and candleholders FULL with her beautiful collection. (I will do a feature post on her collection).

Usually, we find lots of the common pieces such as brown or clear glass. Today, was extra special when we found lots of green glass and a few aqua pieces too! No two pieces are ever alike.

My daughter sorted our newest pieces into the sweetest little piles









We will add these beauties to our {growing} collection which we display in glass jars...


The tall jar is a newer apothecary jar from Home Goods. The other tall jar is a vintage flea market find. It has an old cork top on it (which I think is original) and also has amazing old wavy glass.


The little jar was from a Seattle vacation. It came from the Hotel's mini bar. The sea glass in that jar came from a vacation in Maui. My daughter wants to keep the Hawaii glass separate from the California beach glass.








We also found this heart shaped rock. Can you believe how perfect nature can be?




The best part about this collection..it's totally free and creates memories that last a lifetime!


I hope you enjoyed a peek into our summer. Thanks for stopping by! 

Edited 8/13/10 to add a link to "A Soft Place to Land" for her Day at the Beach Edition


8 comments:

hometown girl said...

your little collection is lovely! and how sweet to collect it together! i love all your jars filled with it. when we were on Nantucket we didn't find any seaglass, just shells :) have a beautiful weekend! susan

Janet said...

I loved your comments and how you showed your sea finds of the day and then separated them into color collections. The stored sea glass in bottles looked so beautiful in a collection. The heart shaped rock is so special too!
Janet

Lisa said...

Your photos are lovely and has me daydreaming of lazy days by the sea. Looks like a wonderful day had by all.

Lisa@Suburban Retreat

AntiqueChase said...

Susan,
I'm sure the shells were amazing.. and I'm a bit jealous as we never find shells!

Janet,
Thanks so much for your kind words!

Lisa,
Thanks for stopping by again..I appreciate you taking the time to comment. It makes my day!!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Oooohhh! I am so jealous! I miss the beach so much now that we are living in Texas! I grew up in La Jolla and miss it terribly!

All of the sea glass is gorgeous! I adore your collection of glass jars...beautiful!

What a wonderful way to spend the day...luck you;)!

Enjoy!
Cathy

AntiqueChase said...

Cathy~
And I am envious that you grew up in La Jolla!! You must have the most amazing memories... Have a wonderful weekend! Marcy :)

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Hi Marcy,
What a beautiful vignette and a beautiful collection! I love that all the seaglass came from your different vacations.
That heart shaped rock is amazing! I showed it to my 9 y/o little girl... she WOWed!! at it. :) Gotta love Mother Nature.
Have a great weekend!
~ Jo :)

P.S. Thanks for the birthday wishes!! :)

Sarah said...

Wonderful post about your day at the beach. I love to walk a beach early morning or early evening. It's so peaceful. I'm never fortunate enough to find sea glass, but I think it is lovely. I think it is special that you and your childen keep these treasures in those beautiful jars and add to them each time you find more. Building memories!
Have you read Anita Shreve's SEA GLASS? You might enjoy it. ~ Sarah