Thursday, August 19, 2010

Silver Spoons ~




When I was newly married, my first house was decorated in the popular 1990's Southwest Style. Not the beautiful Mary Emmerling Southwest style.. I'm talking the fake cactus, peach and pale green sofas, and coyote motifs.  Are you with me?

By 1997, I was growing tired of the Southwest look but I wasn't sure what style of decorating I liked. 

One day, a friend gave me a fabulous book by Rachel Ashwell, "Shabby Chic, Treasure Hunting & Decorating Guide".  I really started to identify with her style and unique way of adding found objects as home decor.  

I started going to Antique Malls looking for treasures.  While I loved the way items were displayed, I became discouraged with the big price tags! 

At the time, my kids were in preschool and we were hosting plenty of play dates. Moms would generally stay at our house to chat while the children played.

Two of the moms I met, Peggy and Bethany, were equally enthusiastic about waking up at 6:00 on Sunday mornings to hunt at the Flea market. We fell in love with antiquing and treasure hunting and rarely missed a Sunday morning together....  for me, it became the Antique Chase... 

Recently, I completely changed the way I shop at the flea market. 

 In the past, I didn't look for "smalls".... what I mean is, I liked to find the big things or WOW pieces, such as oil paintings or furniture.  But now, as my house is filling up,  I have less room and less wall space. Bringing home large items requires me to give up other pieces... 

So, I have slowed down my pace and now focus more on the smalls, the little things that make my house feel like home.  Which leads me to this post...

Silver Spoons....

I purchased these kitchen canisters at Salvation Army. They have old wavy glass which looks beautiful when the sun reflects off of them.  I had seen magazines where decorators would put tea cups inside flour jars and thought it was so charming. Tea cups didn't fit my home decor so I was looking  for another idea...


I stumbled upon one large spoon at a local flea market. There were no mates or other similar pieces to be found. It was silver plate, tarnished and calling my name. For a few dollars it was mine and started my collection.



Love the detail, shape and warm color...


You can see the generous size when compared to a teaspoon.



Soon after, I found another spoon, equally as charming...


Delicate pattern around the edge.....


This one has a monogram "P" on the beautiful handle. It doesn't bother me that the initial is not mine...

The next jar, is a newer jar purchased at Target. If I find a vintage jar, I will swap this one out.  It holds instant coffee {yes instant}. The spoon in this jar is just decorative, not functional.


I was charmed by the pansy type flowers on it...



Another spoon, no jar to call home {yet}
 ... at $1.00 I decided to purchase it.


Even the handle is beautiful. I love the way the silver ages over time, dark in the crevices.



Below, is the back of the handle.. equally pretty...


Here is my collection of 4 shown together


Next time your at the flea market or a thrift store, don't forget to look at the mismatched silver... you may find a hidden treasure!!

I hope you will consider following my blog!


29 comments:

Sue said...

I love this idea!!! The spoons are so pretty to see through the glass. :-)
Loving your blog! I'll get back to mine in October after my vacation

Suzan said...

I love old silver plate flatware and have a crazy amount of it now. I have so much that I use it instead of the stainless steel I have had since I got married forever ago. I really like your large serving spoons. I have a few but are not nearly as pretty as those!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Functional and beautiful...love it! Love your glass jars too!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I had already noticed these gorgeous spoons in a picture in a prior post on your blog and I SO LOVE IT! I always looks for silver spoons, but yours are so fabulous!! And I LOVE them in the canisters!!

I thought I had already signed up to follow you, but I did it again to make sure! lol I love your style! I am a smalls searcher but now I think I need to find bigger pieces to put my smalls on! lol

Have a great day!

Lou Cinda :)

Lisa said...

What a great story on how you came up with the name of your blog! Very cool. It seemed to take me FOREVER to figure out a name for mine and I still don't really like it.
My garage is stuffed with larger items that I can't part with but "had to have". My husband complains constantly about this.
Love your spoon collection - charming but practical at the same time. Have a great day!
~Lisa~

oh yvonne said...

love your blog Marcy, it's beautiful! I was enchanted with your house when you had us over, and how fun you are sharing and enjoying your home with others. I've got you on my Google feed, will enjoy seeing what you come up with. Love the serving spoons, I have a big silver one myself that was my grandmother's. She wasn't wealthy; she got hers at a thrift store many years ago too!

yvonne

Alabaster Rose Designs said...

Hi Marcy,
I just found your blog and I absolutely love it!! Your home is just beautiful! I can't wait to come back for more gorgeous posts!
Have a lovely day.
Sincerely,
Melinda
Alabaster Rose Designs

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Marcy, I have quite a collection of silverplate and sterling flatware picked up at garage sales and fleamarkets. Your spoons are beautiful displayed in the clear jars.
Hugs, Sherry

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love those old mismatched silver spoons. I have been on the lookout for old silver flatware. I love the thrill of the hunt.

hometown girl said...

well first i have to say i wish i had a group of friends to do that with, how fun! i love your spoons and have been buying old flatware myself. i love the use of them inside the glass, it's really lovely!! thank you for visiting! susan

Karen said...

Oh, my goodness!! I love the silver serving spoon idea for the canisters. I've been wondering what to use for "scoops" in my glass canisters. Now I know! Can't wait to gather up the silver serving spoons I have from inherited sets of silverware. Best idea I've seen in a long, long time. Thank you.
I'll be back!
Karen
Ladybug Creek

My Yellow House said...

How funny that you did this post today...I noticed your spoons the other day when I found your blog and loved them instantly. I even rummaged through my grandmother's silver and took out the larger spoons to...yes, copy you! :)
Thanks for the thoughtful and sweet comment you left on my post today...I, too, am happy to have found you.
Have a wonderful evening ~
Sarah

Candylei said...

What you said is so true. It's in the details. I just got a antique silverplate sugar spoon very similar to yours and you turn it over and over in your hand admiring it thinking about the women who rarely left home in the "years gone by" but they had many beautiful things at home.

Kristin said...

oh i *love* this!! thanks to you i'm on a new mission..teehee just wait until the husband hears! ;0)

Cottage Rose said...

Love your silver spoons,, they are so pretty and look great in your jars.... I have only two vintage silver pieces,,one is a gravy spoon, and the other is ice tongs,,, or maybe veggie tongs not sure but I love them,,,, will have to keep my eye out for spoons now,,,,lol

Hugs;
Alaura

Sue said...

I, too, am always looking for "smalls." Love your spoons and the way you are using them. My spoons/forks are generally just plunked into a basket or even the occasional sugar bowl. Visiting from Leigh's party. Nice to find your blog. :-) Sue

Carol said...

Love those old spoons and the detail work is just beautiful!!Thanks for coming to visit me!!
Carol in GA

Erin said...

I am so excited to have found your blog. I have been following so many home decor blogs trying to figure out my "style". As I grew up I would be enthralled with old "junk" as my family and now husband call it. I had no idea until stumbling onto a blog by accident that so may other people liked to find uses for old stuff.

On reading this post it gave me hope...that my boring 3 bedroom 3 bath ranch that is LITERALLY an EXACT copy of almost every house in my subdivision can be changed into a HOME bit by bit...with old mixed with the new.

Thank you for not only taking the time to share your ideas and inspiration but your home. Off now to cruise the rest of your blog!

Irma@CosasBellas said...

Hi Marcy, I was just scrolling back to some of your older posts to see what I had missed, I could probably be here all night looking at your beautiful blog.
I love to hear how you came up with your blog name, and to know that you were blessed with some wonderful flea market friends, it's always more fun that way.
I can totally relate to this post, I also went through the Santa Fe phase(right after the Nagel phase) but let my ex keep everything after our divorce. New start, new look! I actually started thrifting and repurposing before it was "chic". As a single mom my thrift store obsession worked to my advantage.
I also keep one of these big green glass jars in my kitchen, it is filled with Goldfish crackers(my hubby's favorite)and he gets to scoop them out with a big beautiful silver spoon. I had also seen them displayed with the porcelain cups but, like you, they weren't my cup of tea(pun intended)lol
I now have a collection of large serving spoons, forks, cake servers etc. displayed in a silver plated urn/ice bucket.
I know it's probably too late to say that I'm going to cut this short before I bore you, so I'll apologize for being long winded and say...

Goodnight

Pinky said...

I have one or two large silver spoons like this that were my Grandmother's so this gave me a GREAT idea!!!! Woulod you mind telling me the name/color of your granite and also your backsplash! I am in love with your kitchen:):) XO, Pinky

AntiqueChase said...

Pinky~ I sent you an email as the tile and granite were here when we purchased the house... I wish I knew! Sorry

anne marie said...

I just love, love, love, your beautiful blog. This is a stupid question, but how do you take care of your silver and silver plate flatware? I have 2 beautiful sets and would love to use them daily. I assume the dishwasher is a no-no.

Thank you,
Anne Marie

AntiqueChase said...

Hi Anne Marie,
I looked for your email address but didn't find it. I really am not a "polisher" ... If I do polish I use a cream paste I think the brand is Wrights. I don't put the good stuff in the dishwasher but I have some everyday silverplate utensils that I finally gave up on the hand washing... The dishwasher will eventually take the plate off but that's okay... I'd rather use them then have them sit in a drawer. I hope that helped.. If you have any other questions, just let me know! Marcy :)

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Oh, how beautiful!
I just love vintage pieces!
Thank you for sharing~
Leticia

The Lazy Peacock said...

I LOVE mismatched silver, your pieces are gorgeous! what great finds!

Johanna said...

Hi Marci,
the way you started your collection sounds quite fammilar for me. I started my collection of rose pattern spoons at ebay and after a while I had so many different patterns and information that I started to write a book about this fancy silver spoons. Your spoons are beautiful and as you said: they call always my name when I see such.
Have fun with your collection and wish you good hunting.
Greetings, Johanna

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

Ooo~I love what you did with your spoons. They look great thru the clear glass. I too have several of the larger serving spoons and use them mostly with entertaining ~ but now you have given me inspiration to show them more often. Thank you~

sweetmemorymakingmom said...

I would love to follow your blog! I have added you to my favorites. I like your taste in vintage treasures. I, like you, love the beauty of a vintage spoon. I have also seen the idea of using a teacup in my flower jar. I no longer have a large glass jar and the idea of using the silver spoon is perfect! Thank you for the idea. hugs, Ellen

Betty@SouthernGrace said...

Love this idea! Beauty is in the little details~