Friday, August 13, 2010

Old Doors~

I don't know about you but I love old doors. In magazines and blogland, I have seen so many interesting projects, everything from dining tables to headboards.

I got my 'Old Door' about 5 years ago from my friend's garage. I'm pretty sure she regrets letting it go but at the time, she just wanted it out of the garage!  Her husband had gym equipment in the garage and it was in his way....she told me "please just take it!" I insisted on giving her $20 for the door... (If I bought it, she couldn't take it back, right?)

I brought the door home and my husband gave me "the look".. you know, the "what are you thinking where will we put that piece of junk" look...  told him to "fear not", I have big plans for this baby!!

In the back of my mind, I knew I wanted to turn the door into a standing mirror. I had been looking at purchasing a floor mirror for years but they were just too expensive. So, I decided to have a mirror cut for the top portion of the door where the original old chicken wire screen was
I discovered, it was twice the price to have the glass shop install the mirror. I carefully took the measurements and had my husband install it instead... It only took a few minutes and a couple of mirror anchors to attach it. I wanted the reflection to be a true mirror without distortion, so I put my money into a better quality mirror glass. 


I wanted to keep this rustic {and cheap} so I decided not to get a beveled edge on the mirror.


I left the door's paint and surface in the original condition. I love the chippy paint, it has the perfect patina.  Look at the rusty nails holding in the moulding. 


The door has it's original hardware still attached and I think it adds so much character to the mirror






I could have put a mirror in the bottom half of the door but decided to leave the lower half of the door "as is"...



I love the reflection, height and interest this door brings into my family room







So next time you are looking for a mirror idea, don't forget about OLD DOORS! 

Places to find them are:
1. Friend's garage
2. Trash Day
3. Curb Alert
4. Craig's List
5. Flea Markets
6. Garage Sales
7. Antique Stores
8. Demolition Sites
9. Junk Yards

I'm sure I am forgetting a great place to score a door, so let me know where you found yours!! I would love to read your comments, if you have time...

LINK TO 

17 comments:

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

It's perfect! Chippy,old and yummy! I love it in your beautiful room!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Such a pretty old door!
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
XO
Kristin

Wendy Cross said...

What a great idea. I had doors like these that I just gave away about 10 years ago. Now I can kick myself. I'll probably be out looking for one soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

My Cozy Casita said...

Hi Mercy, that's such a great idea. It looks perfect in your family room, you have very nice home.
I love you house! I hope I can purchase a home here soon since my house in Miami is being rented while I live here in SoCal.

Have a nice weekend!

AntiqueChase said...

Hi Cathy ~ Kristin ~ Wendy ~ My Cozy Casita

Thanks for your visit! Wendy.. go get yourself another door! I hate when I clean the garage out only to discover I shouldn't have given my things away... We've all done it!! Have a great weekend!

Carol said...

We had a friend cleaning out his grandparents hay barn and found our 150 year old door under things there! I still haven't "done" anything to it, not sure how I want to display it.
Carol in GA
http://antiquesanduniques.blogspot.com

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Marcy, I get that "look" all the time, from my sweet husband AND my kids. But like you, I just smile.

Your door looks wonderful in your home. Every home can use all the architectural treasures it can get. Just gorgeous! xo Lidy

Tins and Treasures said...

Your old door looks so charming in your family room. Fabulous idea!

Have a great week. ~Natalie

bj said...

Well, I am NOW looking hi and lo for an awesome door...good grief!! This is such a cute idea...

WendyKV said...

I love your old door. Great idea with the mirror. My husband hasn't warmed to the idea of me getting one--YET! He said, "why do you want a door to nowhere"? But I'll wear him down. . .

oh yvonne said...

aww, love this idea with the mirror, clever!

Patti said...

Love the door! I am a door lover, too. and windows.

Sarah said...

Love the way you think out of the box. The door mirror is very clever and looks terrific in your home. ~ Sarah

Ellie said...

What a great use for an old groovy door! Found your blog through Debbiedoos.

Debbie said...

That is awesome! Your home is gorgeous, and the door could not be more fitting. I love old doors too. Great tips as to where to find them. Thanks for joining me...I look forward to seeing more. Debbie

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love your old door turned into a mirror!! Super charming! I just dragged two old glass top doors home with me about a week ago- left out for free. Love it! I host a decorating inspiration party at my blog - Feathered Nest Friday if you would like to join in sometime! :)

decor4poor@blogspot.com said...

I love old doors, your place is fab.